PDA

View Full Version : loading issue cartrige hanging up

mtngun
09-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Just got back from the range. New 111fcns with custom shop barrel. I have a box of factory loads and shot one round, cleaned and de-coppered and shot two more.
Attempting to chamber a fourth round the bolt stopped short of closing and I found it difficult to extract the round.
What I found is the top of the casing caught some internal lip and deformed (approximately 3/16" wide and curled back).
I removed that round and shot two more and ceased to return home to clean again.
Using a mirror and reflecting sunlight I can see nothing unusual in the chamber. I did not "carefully inspect the round" prior to attempting to chamber. I feel I may have slowly closed the bolt rather than "jacking" it in quickly as the rifle was in a sled.
Has anyone had issues with this occuring on their rifle?
Should I be concerned?

Slowpoke Slim
09-21-2011, 07:34 PM
What I found is the top of the casing caught some internal lip and deformed (approximately 3/16" wide and curled back).

Has anyone had issues with this occuring on their rifle?

Should I be concerned?

What do you mean "top of the casing"? Do you mean the case mouth, or?

No.

Yes.

Do you have a way to post a pic of the deformed round? Where any of the casings you fired deformed in the same area?

mtngun
09-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Slim,
It is the neck where it meets the bullet. I checked the fired rounds and also the balance of the unused box. I can note only a few small differences in the entire box. It was an unexpected occurance. I have a pic somewhere in cyberspace and will post is as soon as it gets to my email from my phone.
I should mention that I had this rifle built by Savages' Custom shop with a med sporter barrel. I'm pretty sure they would not send out something not right. I have a gut feeling it was a bad round (Winchester Super X) bought to break in the barrel.
I'll be loading up berger/laupa for dialing this in.

mtngun
09-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Here's the pic
http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z416/trinitygun/guns/Bullet.jpg

earl39
09-21-2011, 11:41 PM
i am going to say factory defect. i had one years ago in 22-250 in a box of remington that had a crease all the way down the neck. I kept that shell for years but it has been misplaced after all these years or i would show a pic of it. Point is unless you inspect every shell there is no way to know how many factory shells are shot each year that have a defect like yours did or like i had.

Gary

ellobo
09-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Looks to me like a factory defect in the case. I have seen it before. Pretty rare but it does happen.
I have even seen it on a Lake City arsenal case.

El Lobo

mtngun
09-22-2011, 12:23 AM
This is encouraging. I waited 2.5 months for this rifle and was not interested in sending it back!

bootsmcguire
09-22-2011, 01:03 AM
I would think that if it were the brass catching on a edge of the mag, chamber, feed ramp, or ??? that you would have noticeable scratch marks fore and aft of the bad spot on the case mouth. My vote is factory defect.

jsthntn247
09-23-2011, 10:29 AM
This is definitely a factory defect. About a month ago, I had one that looked identical to that come out of a box of factory Federal ammo.

Eric in NC
09-23-2011, 12:24 PM
This is definitely a factory defect.

+1 - call the manufacturer with the lot number etc. and I bet you get a coupon for another box (might have to send them the shell or a pic).