PDA

View Full Version : Anyone face off the front of their receivers?

mscott71
09-21-2011, 05:11 AM
I'm not talking about an action truing job, but just making the front of the action 100% flat. Talking to a guy at a match last weekend he mentioned that he had to take off .009 to get the action face flat. I got to looking and noticed one that I just picked up isn't even close to flat and you can still see saw marks where the tubing was cut. Surely a flat surface to tighten the barrel lug and nut against would have to be a good idea. Anyone else ever noticed this?

elginrunner
09-21-2011, 08:41 AM
I did this to mine a few weeks ago. It was only .003" out. I don't know how much this makes a difference with the floating bolt head being involved, but it just bugged me. Did it make a difference?? I'll let you know when my krieger bbl gets here in DEC!! ;D

ellobo
09-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Having an out of square action face will definately cause sight adjustment problems if too extreme. Even worst on guns like Remington. I would do it if I were you and can see it being off. Visualy it seems it is a bit extreme.

El Lobo

sinman
09-21-2011, 05:05 PM
I do it all the time, I haven't seen one past .005" though. Most are .001-.003"

artifactr
09-21-2011, 06:52 PM
I had mine squared/faced. My machinist/gunsmight(dad) said it was suprisingly out. Took off .005. Better do it now than wonder about it later. He faced the barrel nut also and the whole barrel nut, recoil lug, and receiver fit together with perfection now on my new Criterion barrel. Used a little assebly lube to prevent galling since they come together with total contact.

ellobo
09-21-2011, 11:59 PM
A milled flat recoil lug or an aftermarket lug that is flat is a must to get the contact 100% on the reciever, lug and nut. Having one of them out negates any squaring up you do with the reciever alone.

El Lobo

dcloco
09-22-2011, 12:12 AM
I do it all the time, I haven't seen one past .005" though. Most are .001-.003"

Ditto.

The other side of this, how is the smith checking this? Are they chucking the action in the 4 jaw and measuring? If so, that is not a truly accurate measurement.