PDA

View Full Version : Barrel change and thread preparation

Sundo
09-20-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm a new owner of a 116 FCSS .30-06. I'm thinking of rebarreling to a E.R. Shaw .308 Win barrel. That leaves me with a number of questions...

Will the .308 barrel work fine in the 116 (long) action? Will the long action magazine feed the short .308 Win cartridges fine?

Should I do anything to prep the threads before I install the new barrel? For example, should I apply anti-seize compound, or any other substance? I do plan to change barrels again within a year.

TIA.

bootsmcguire
09-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Will the .308 barrel work fine in the 116 (long) action?
Yes

Will the long action magazine feed the short .308 Win cartridges fine?
Most of the time, some people report having to tweak the mag lips a bit. But most run fine with no modification.

Should I do anything to prep the threads before I install the new barrel?
A small amount of anti-seize wouldn't hurt.

Nor Cal Mikie
09-21-2011, 10:52 AM
A small amount of anti-seize wouldn't hurt? Anti-sieze is messy and works but, any good grease will do the job with less mess. ;)

5spd
09-21-2011, 11:48 AM
You may have to spin the thread end with emery cloth as I'm thinking its going to be a tad oversized like my last 2 bbls.
I run just a tad of automotive assembly lube on mine, since I have a tube of it also.

bootsmcguire
09-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Mikie, you are correct the anti-seize can be messy, grease can also work. For me I like that the anti-seize is a guarantee and on the metal gun parts it cleans off easy enough, just be sure to clean the barreled action before installing it in the stock. Both ways work, so I think the phrase is "6 of one, half a dozen of the other." :D

Nor Cal Mikie
09-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Another saying about anti-sieze would be "a little goes a long way". You'll end up with the stuff all over everything. And it keeps showing up long after you think you've got it all cleaned up. It has it applications. Still good stuff. ;)
Works good on the ear piece of the phone reciever when you want to piss off the boss. Or under the door handle of his truck. :o ;) Gotta have a little fun in life. ;D