PDA

View Full Version : savage stock problem

bluealtered
11-09-2009, 03:35 PM
As i had posted earlier, i bought a 12fvss from one of our members and it was shooting good groups, for the most part interlocking. The stock on it was a b&c duramax and it worked well. I got to wondering if it would shoot even better if the action area was floated, so i called b&c and asked the lady who answered the phone, (marty) if i should do that, she went and asked one of the techs and was told yes.

To make a long story short, i did float it and the groups became 2-3". I called b&c back and talked to tara who said no it shouldn't be floated, send it in. I did and i have an e-mail this morning saying they won't fix it because of the two cheek piece holes on the comb. I had offered to pay for repairs even though it was caused by their advice to float it.

So now i need a new stock and could use some help finding the right one. The duramax fit me well, but i'm having a hard time buying another after their customer service. The varmint/tactical type stocks don't seem to fit me good at all. So any thoughts on this would help, thanks. blue

tropicmaster
11-09-2009, 05:25 PM
What about the standard sporter styles at Richards, or the Woodchuck at Stockade? The Woodchuck looks to be a near match to the Duramax. I think someone on here just finished a Woodchuck project, I remember seeing a thread on it. Maybe they will chime in.

dcloco
11-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Ask them to send the stock back.

Is this a sporter barrel? If so, they sometimes like pressure points to keep things in the accuracy zone.

bluealtered
11-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys, i'll look into the woodchuck tropicmaster. Dcloco, they are sending the stock back and i'm thinking of what to use to build the sides back up if it comes to that. Did you have a product in mind? The rifle is a 12fvss in .308. I guess the bottom line is never float the action of a duramax, lesson learned. blue

pdog06
11-09-2009, 06:45 PM
So you floated the entire action and just had the action sitting on the aluminum pillars, correct?

Never heard of anyone ever doing that. I'm wondering if the first person at B&C got confused and thought you were just talking about the rear tang and not the entire action ???

Cant you just bed the action and solve the problem? Depending on how much you floated it you might use alot of bedding meterial, but that sounds like the best way to go.

Got any pics of the float job?

bluealtered
11-10-2009, 09:14 AM
no, no pics. There was very much a problem between my asking the the question and the answer i got. However that doesn't matter much at this point, and yes i will rebed the stock this winter when the snows to deep to get to the range. I guess it will be interesting to see if i can correct it, thats the only way i can look at it now. Hopefully posting this will keep someone else from doing it. blue

racinready300ex
11-10-2009, 10:07 AM
If I'm understanding it right, I'm with pdog. Re bedding it should solve the problem. Why wait till the winter, you could rebed it before the weekend and test it out.

bluealtered
11-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Yes i can, when it shows up. Depending on how my other projects are going i may be able to do so. I also have two other savages that are only piller beded-touching that shoot very good groups, (both model 11's) thats why i didn't find floating the duramax out of line. blue