PDA

View Full Version : Installing A B & C Stock

bbradford71
09-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Hello All,

I am looking to purchase a B & C Medalist and am a little nervous about installing it. I have read on many posts about bedding the action, pillar bedding and having to use a drimel around the recoil lug. I am not one that is very good with this type of stuff, in fact aside from a screw driver set and a small ratchet set I do not own any tools. Is this stock a simple drop in and tighten install or am I going to have to find a gunsmith and drop a few more bills to get it installed?

Thanks In Advance

darkker
09-19-2011, 04:09 PM
You "SHOULD" be able to just drop it in, and tighten down.
"IF" you need to "relieve" or "dremel" the stock, DO NOT pay a gunsmith for it. Find a local who is part of the "Brotherhood of the Nut". He will do it for the price of a cold beer, and 30 seconds worth of time.

Bedding is something you don't need to worry about right now.

bbradford71
09-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the good advice, I live in Houston I am also looking for a good smith to put on a muzzle brake, any suggestions?

darkker
09-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Not sure what you are looking for, as to the muzzle brake...
As far as brand, or style? I don't have a clue.
I personally hate them, as they seem to only serve to make people deaf.
As far as "who" can thread the barrel? Just about anyone who has been in the biz for more than a year.
Find a "tactical" shop, or someone who deals with AR-15's and suppressors. Suppressors have to be MUCH more concentric with the bore, than a standard muzzle brake.

bbradford71
09-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks

roadkill46
09-21-2011, 09:32 PM
mine was drop in w/o issue and shoots excellent. is yours an SR that it already threaded or do you need someone to thread it for you? i didn't see a caliber, .223, .308, if you didn't know, 2 different thread patterns. i would suggest that you drop it in the stock, put the scope on and shoot it to see what it does. if it does not perform like you want, assuming you got the scope on correctly as it seems you don't have much gun/tool experience, then take it to a smith. look in your local trade paper and you can find good ones that don't charge you $50 an hour. Read, Read, Read......Read everything about your gun, caliber, scope type, ammo type (once you find something accurate that it likes) and then read some more. ask questions here, most, must say most, people on this site are friendly and will answer your questions. some you have to take with a bit of salt since they serve sarcasm along with advice. we all started new, a lot of us, including myself, started longer ago than we care to admit so we are jaded a little to the basic questions. the Search function is also a good way to start and there are more Savage threads out there on the net besides this one also. My .03