PDA

View Full Version : Converting a left hand action

mtang45
09-18-2011, 02:25 AM
I had a thought today while looking at a left hand Savage that was for sale. Since Savage now makes a left port right bolt action, would it be possible to convert a left hand rifle to have a right hand bolt?

Probably a dumb question, but I had to ask.

mtang45
09-18-2011, 06:35 PM
OK after thinking about a bit...it WAS a dumb question.

earl39
09-18-2011, 07:12 PM
OK after thinking about a bit...it WAS a dumb question.

Maybe but the answer to your question is yes it can be done.

coonhunter56
09-18-2011, 08:53 PM
If you want a right bolt left port action that is one way to get it. Otherwise just sell it and get a right handed action. plenty of lefties looking for actions all the time.

handirifle
09-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Unless you want a right bolt left port receiver, like you mentioned, in that case just buy a target action. Probably just as cheap, and easier to sell if ya change your mind later.

mtang45
11-16-2011, 09:58 PM
OK folks just thought I would resurrect this older post. What exactly is involved in making a left port right bolt out of a current lefty action?

earl39
11-16-2011, 10:30 PM
in the simplest terms,,,,, a right hand bolt complete... a slot milled in the tang to accept it and headspace reset... there may be some other minor fittings but that is about the just of it

82boy
11-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Yes it can and has been done. It is not a stupid question but a good one. The problem is there is some added expense. You would have as much into it as you would just buing a target action. I have found I can feed a standard Savage right handed repeater from the left and do very well at it.

Hammer
11-17-2011, 12:05 AM

Who would go to the effort of converting right-hand actions to left-hand operation ?

Or was it left-hand actions to right-hand operation ?

Or was it right-hand actions to right-hand operation ?

I know nothing about such foolishness.

Did I ever tell y'all about taking three right-hand Weatherby Mark V Varmintmaster 224 Weatherby Magnum actions, cutting them, rewelding them into one action, converting it to cock-on-closing like the 95 Chilean Mauser with controlled-feed and Mauser claw extractor, installed an Italian Carcano trigger, with it all operated by a Winchester 1886 lever mechanism with gas-assist, converted the six locking lugs to an assymetric five lugs using a dremmel tool, and then opened up the magazine and bolt to handle the beltless rimmed version of the Improved 470 Long Capstick with an engraved Savage barrel-nut on the octagon barrel ?

Should probably made it operate like the Remington 760 pump action rifle to handle faster as a brush gun.

Saved some money using a birch particle-board stock, but it didn't have much figure or grain and the hand-rubbed oil finish really didn't make a hit with the gun collector crowd.

Put a wide-view Tasco 3 - 9 X scope on it using some Persian bubble-pack bases and mounts.

mtang45
11-17-2011, 12:14 AM

Did I ever tell y'all about taking three right-hand Weatherby Mark V Varmintmaster 224 Weatherby Magnum actions, cutting them, rewelding them into one action, converting it to cock-on-closing like the 95 Chilean Mauser with controlled-feed and Mauser claw extractor, installed an Italian Carcano trigger, with it all operated by a Winchester 1886 lever mechanism with gas-assist, and then opened up the magazine and bolt to handle the beltless rimmed version of the Improved 470 Long Capstick with a Savage barrel-nut on the octagon barrel ?

Put a wide-view Tasco 3 - 9 X scope on it using some Persian bubble-pack bases and mounts.

Cool! But did it have a left port right bolt?? ;D ;D

Hammer
11-17-2011, 12:16 AM

We were drinking port at the time and I can't remember whether it was with the left hand or the right.

SharpShooter will likely remember.

defoxer
11-17-2011, 08:35 PM
I currently have a similar contemplation in mind; My Savs are all rightys (while I operate them lefty) so that the Mrs can shoot them without (complaints) so I'm planning on converting to Lefty by cutting the tang slot and swapping bolts......then depending on headspace issues plan on swapping between LH and RH when I hand over the rifle for some shootin....

mtang45
11-18-2011, 05:50 PM
I currently have a similar contemplation in mind; My Savs are all rightys (while I operate them lefty) so that the Mrs can shoot them without (complaints) so I'm planning on converting to Lefty by cutting the tang slot and swapping bolts......then depending on headspace issues plan on swapping between LH and RH when I hand over the rifle for some shootin....

See there is a practical application!!! A switch bolt!!

stangfish
11-18-2011, 08:04 PM
;D ^