PDA

View Full Version : 30 or 40 MOA base for savage Long Action??

Pages : [1] 2

kennyg
09-15-2011, 09:41 PM
I am wondering where I could find a 30 or 40 MOA base for my savage long action (round rear)? I do not want to get the adjustable rings, and I need more elevation then I currently have with my 20 MOA base. Thanks

tyler.woodard04
09-16-2011, 07:29 AM
why not a 20 MOA base and the burris signature zee rings? just wondering

kennyg
09-16-2011, 08:30 AM
I guess I am just not too excited about those style of rings....I know that they work fine for a lot of people but I would rather have the elevation in the base and be able to use standard rings. Anyways, just trying to locate one of these bases. I thought that ken farrell made them but I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere.

tyler.woodard04
09-17-2011, 07:26 AM
you wont find a tapered base for "standard" rings anyway. for weaver style and picitiny style yes. never had a problem with the signature zee rings myself. I feel they grip the scope better than a metal ring also. good luck

GaCop
09-17-2011, 07:40 AM
I had an elevation problem at long range with my 0 MOA EGW base. Weaver windage adjustable rings and my Viper scope. I switched over to a 20 MOA base and the Signature Zee rings using the +10 and -10 inserts. I've got more than enough elevation at long range now.

kennyg
09-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Okay just to clear things up, I currently have Burris XTR rings and an EGW 20 moa base. What I would like to do is just swap out the base and keep my rings. Apparently no one makes a base with more taper for the savage LA?

Blue Avenger
09-17-2011, 01:40 PM
call egw. they may have something non catalog.

Blue Avenger
09-17-2011, 01:44 PM
somewhere I seen a sliding adj MOA base. I forget where.

found it http://www.kenfarrell.com/

more...

http://www.officer.com/product/10232031/adjustable-moa-scope-mounts-for-large-caliber-rifles

http://www.iveyshooting.com/

kennyg
09-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Thanks! That Ken Farrell 30 MOA base looks good!

JCalhoun
09-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Kenny;

Just out of curiosity, how far are you shooting that 20moa isn't enough?

kennyg
09-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Well I am putting together a 7 Saum, and I honestly have never shot past 800 (never had a true long range rifle before), but I would like to see what this gun will do past 1000, and eventually to 1500 or however far we can lob those bullets out there. :) I just hunt and shoot for fun with friends, no formal competition, but I don't want to be limited by my scope adjustment, so I figured if I could get it set up the way I want it now, I wouldn't have to change anything out later.

helotaxi
09-25-2011, 08:51 AM
What scope? Do you hope to be able to zero at 100yds when you're done?

kennyg
09-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Sightron SIII 6-24x50. They have 100 MOA of travel. I should be able to zero at 100 but I like to zero at 250 for max point blank range.

M.O.A.
09-25-2011, 01:15 PM
dnz has a 30moa base,ring mount for a 1 inch scope but im not for sure about for a 30mm scope?

jrmy_1
12-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Okay just to clear things up, I currently have Burris XTR rings and an EGW 20 moa base. What I would like to do is just swap out the base and keep my rings. Apparently no one makes a base with more taper for the savage LA?

Did you ever find anything? I'm in the same boat, looking for a 30MOA base, preferrable in silver as I'm using it on a SS 7mmRM. I'm going to see if EGW has anything. It's nice to get the full range of the scope, if needed. my scope is +/-35MOA, so the optimal would be a 30MOA base. I'm planning on getting a longer barrel and a can on the gun, so I can easily get supersonic out to 1800 yds and will need the extra adjustment for desert shooting.

Also, I am interested in a higher/thicker base as I feel the base is more secure and the shorter the rings the less movement in the system.

Did you find anything other than the Ken Farrel? They are a little more pricey than I wanted.

Thanks!
J

r29l20
12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
I may be wrong, but I think leatherwood makes one.

helotaxi
12-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Did you find anything other than the Ken Farrel? They are a little more pricey than I wanted.

You want something non-standard, you're going to have to pay to play. You could always shim and bed a 20MOA base to get more elevation. I would seriously consider getting a scope better suited to shooting at the range you seem interested in. 70 MOA isn't much adjustment range at all and I wouldn't go more than 20-25 MOA on a base with that amount of adjustment unless you are willing to give up the possibility of zeroing inside of 250+ yds.

jrmy_1
12-23-2011, 01:23 PM
I talked to EGW and they said they will custom their standard mount for an extra $20 or so, so that brings their standard rings to about 60 dollars plus shipping. Not bad. This seems like the best/cheapest route for what are considered a quality base.

You want something non-standard, you're going to have to pay to play. You could always shim and bed a 20MOA base to get more elevation. I would seriously consider getting a scope better suited to shooting at the range you seem interested in. 70 MOA isn't much adjustment range at all and I wouldn't go more than 20-25 MOA on a base with that amount of adjustment unless you are willing to give up the possibility of zeroing inside of 250+ yds.

Actually, 250-300yd zero would be ideal for my 7mmRM. This would provide approximately a +/-3 in maximum and minimum deviation from LOS out to around 300yds. That's good for direct hold-on for deer hunting out to 300 yds, anyway.

If the scope has +/- 35MOA, the 30 MOA base would theoretically allow the scope to have -5 MOA available if zero'd for very close range, of course this is if manufacturing specs. are right on. I would hope it wouldn't be off more than 5 MOA.

I agree, 70moa elevation/windage range isn't ideal, but I don't have the cash for a NightForce these days. :'(

helotaxi
12-23-2011, 02:16 PM
If the scope has +/- 35MOA, the 30 MOA base would theoretically allow the scope to have -5 MOA available if zero'd for very close range, of course this is if manufacturing specs. are right on. I would hope it wouldn't be off more than 5 MOA.

If each ring were off by 0.002" (standard machining tolerance) and the rings were mounted 6" apart on the rail, that is 4 MOA. If the rings are closer together than number gets bigger. That assumes that the base and receiver are "perfect" and the barrel shoots perfectly straight.

jrmy_1
12-23-2011, 05:41 PM

If each ring were off by 0.002" (standard machining tolerance) and the rings were mounted 6" apart on the rail, that is 4 MOA. If the rings are closer together than number gets bigger. That assumes that the base and receiver are "perfect" and the barrel shoots perfectly straight.

Good point, I was assuming +/-0.0005 tolerances on all grinding activity. I ended up ordering a 20moa base from EGW. I'll mic it out to figure tolerances, I guess I don't really know.
Thanks for the info!