PDA

View Full Version : .338 Sin Build

twcracker
09-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Want to build a general purpose rifle for all North American game. Looking hard at the .338 Sin in a 20-22" barrel with a brake. Will be using 225 gr. Barnes bullets @ 2,800 fps and wanting a repeater with at least a two round magazine capacity. I know I can meet my guide lines with the .338 Norma Magnum but it appears simpler to build the .338 Sin. I have read all of the post I can find but am still confused. I have found references to using both RUM and 330 Dakota brass for the parent case. With the RUM brass the case must be shortened and then hydro-formed. It appears that the Dakota case was run through a Sin sizing die and then fire formed. Which method is correct and is any prepared brass available for the Sin? I do not want to do the simpler build to only have an on going pain in my butt forming brass.

rjtfroggy
09-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Contact Sin arms seeing as how Devin developed the round he can tell you what you need to know better than anyone else.

sinman
09-15-2011, 09:25 AM
You can use either Rum brass or Dakota Brass. There are some very good reasons why to go with the Dakota Brass. 1 just fireform (no need for 4 custom dies and hydro forming. 2 Dakota Brass is usually in stock most of the time unlike a lot of the Rum brass. 3 Dakota brass is made by Norma and it is top notch brass. send me an email if you need more info sin_arms@yahoo.com

twcracker
09-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Sinman,

Thanks for the clarification. The Dakota brass will be the way to go and I agree about the quality of Norma brass. Selling several items now to order barrel and dies asap.

Thanks

ellobo
09-15-2011, 05:34 PM
.338-06 isnt a bad choice either and very close ballistics and 06 brass is all over the place. My .35 Whelen (.35-06) will throw 200 and 225 grain bullets at petty good velocity. Even the 250 gr. I can get to 2600fps with some powders. Not a long range catridge but more than enough for anythng on this continent. Ask Sinman his opinion.

El Lobo.