PDA

View Full Version : Help removing internal mag box - model 12 VLP (2005)

jhelmuth
09-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Bought a used model 12 VLP in .243 (circa ~ 2005/2006) with laminated stock. Looks just like the current production model 12 VLP - but it does not have the Detachable Mag Box. Instead, it has an internal blind mag box and though it looks like it should just come out of the stock, it will barely budge (parts # 5, 6, and 7 in the diagram). I know this should not be a problem to remove IF I knew the proper way to do it.

Anyone have any knowledge about how to remove it?

http://i52.tinypic.com/2m4y9fn.jpg

Note: Here is a link to some pics in case that helps.... http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=247461427

r29l20
09-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Pry up on part 7, it's called the "L" clip. The magazine wil come right out.

jhelmuth
09-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Pry up on part 7, it's called the "L" clip. The magazine wil come right out.

Tried that. Hd to apply quite a bit of force and even then it would not come out. The tab was also bending and I'm concerned that I'm damaging these parts.

Are you sure? I can go with more force, but don't want to damage the stock or the blind mag box. ???

jonbearman
09-15-2011, 12:40 AM
I grab the box with needle nose pliers,and be careful. It will come out unless it was glued in or something the factory didnt do.

mscott71
09-15-2011, 05:34 AM
Pulling the box with pliers worked for me as well. You are pulling against the clip, which has a tab to hold the box and a backwards tab to dig into the stock.

jhelmuth
09-15-2011, 11:07 AM
mscott71 almost nailed it. I could not see the #7 tab detail that would have showed the backwards tab that "digs into the stock" - but that is the key... DON'T PRY UPWARD ON THE #7 TAB

I got it free last night - totally by accident. I never "force" anything - I know an engineer designed it to come out "reasonably" with the right technique. All hat was required was to slip a small slim screwdriver between the #7 tab and the mag box. That allows the tab lock to "free" the box so it can be pulled out. Then the #7 tab will come out easily.

Thanks for all the replys fellas - hope this helps someone else in the future. FYI... this is the same stock as in the current BVSS, so the same technique would probably apply to the BVSS stock too.