PDA

View Full Version : E tip performance

handirifle
09-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Well, after MANY years of hunting in SoCal, unsuccessfully, and now living in the central coast area (northern San Luis Obispo county) I have finally connected with a deer. It was only a forkhorn, but i am still thrilled. I shot it with the 150gr Nosler Etip, from my 308 Win. The shot was a 180yd quartering slightly towards me, and took out both lungs and the liver. he ran about 50yds, leaving an easy blood trail.

Remarkably, it entered between 2 ribs and exited between two ribs. Very little meat damage. I have not chrono'd the load, but am guessing about 2800, I will check for sure tomorrow. The exit hole actually looked smaller than the entrance, and both looked slightly above caliber. I am not sure if it even expanded. Very curious. I will post a pic or two this evening. sorry none for right now.

Anyone else have this experience with the Etip's?

Still didn't chrono the load, yet, but someone with Quick Load says it should be right at 2600. I was a tad off I guess.

handirifle
09-15-2011, 02:16 AM
Well here's the pics. Sorry, but was using my cell phone, and didn't even think of taking shots of the entry and exit. I was scurrying around like crazy to get it field dressed and to the meat company. The thermometer on my truck was showing 86 deg when I hauled him out. :o

The first one is the deer where he was found, in the shallow drainage. You can see the exit, it was slightly behind and below where the entry is one the other side. I was about 100ft above him when I shot. He left a fairly easy blood trail to follow.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/handirifle/cadeer2.jpg

The second one is some old geezer (me, boy am I starting to look old :() hamming it up in front of the camera. He's no B&C trophy, but is a big trophy to me.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/handirifle/Cadeer.jpg

thomae
09-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Regardless of your bullet performance (which, apparently, was good enough) you did well. No one else has said it so I will: Congratulations on your deer. It look like it will make some nice and tender meat and who can argue with that?

All the best.

Balljoint
09-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Congrats on your deer so what it won't get you into the record books, just think of all the fun you'll have eating a gourmet meal that people pay upwards of $50 DOLLARS a meal and all it cost you was the cost of one bullet and some of your time

handirifle
09-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Yea, I am pleased with the performance. I do wonder if the petals were folded tightly, keeping the exit small. Obviously, it was large enough for a quick kill.

Trust me, I am NO trophy hunter. Any legal animal is fair game for me. When bowhunting in Ohio, on my brothers place, the motto is "if it's brown, it's down." Buck and doe tags are abundant there.

Thanks for the congrats. It has been a LONG dry spell for me in CA, and am glad it's broken. Southern CA is a very difficult area to hunt, due to the terrain (steepness) and the ultra thick 8-10ft high brush covering much of it.

BLM land, here, is much like it, but this guy was shot on private land, some owned by a kind neighbor that has given me permission to hunt. ;D

I am looking forward to the sausage and jerky to come.