PDA

View Full Version : Single shot build advise

lomfs24
09-14-2011, 12:09 AM
OK, time to pick some of your brains. I have a single shot 112 model series J that I bought some time ago with the intent of rebuilding it. Over the past year or so I have had delusions of grandeur and wanted to build a 7WSM or 7 RSAUM. In prepping for doing that I bought a bolt head and ejector from a fellow here on the board. The gun that I intended for that to go on ended up recently becoming a 6.5x47 Lap, through a series of events that, well, just happened. So now, I am thinking that that series J single shot would make one heckofa nice long range single shot rifle. Which brings me back to the 7 WSM. The ejector that came with the bolt head looks like it attaches to the pin on the trigger mechanism and slides over the edge of the receiver to the ride in the slot of the bolt head. Problem is, in the single shot J series rifle there is no hole in the bottom of the receiver for the ejector to come up through. Is there a different style bolt head I would need or will I need a smitty to cut a slot in the bottom of the receiver?

How do I get a single shot rifle to eject a WSM cartridge?

northlander
09-14-2011, 08:14 AM
You have two options:
1. CRF (control round feed that you have now) that will require installation of a manual ejector rod.
2. .532 Push Feed Bolt Head (same as a 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag) that has a extractor and ejector built into the bolt head.

Savage went to the CRF Bolt Head to better control the cases on certain hard to feed (from the staggerfeed magazine) calibers. Once the newer centerfeed magazines came out they were able to get consistant feeding with the Push Feed Bolt Head system and the older CRF system went away. If you are going to be using a Single Shot Action, you should be able to get by with a push feed bolt head and not have to modify one of those rare single shot J series actions.

Most Barrel companies will not build you a Small Shank WSM or RSAUM due to the thin walls on the chamber. There is always some barrel builder that will build you one and several have been done, just stating a point.

Jim Briggs
NSS

lomfs24
09-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the reply Jim. That's what I needed to know. I guess I have been looking for the wrong part. Seems like any time I see a bolt head for a WSM they are a CRF. I guess I didn't take the time to see that the Mag cartridges are the same size. I guess I always thought they were a little small and the short mags were a little fatter. Back to the drawing board.

I understand the argument against a Short Mag in a standard barrel. However, I have seen them built and the argument for is that while the barrel has less "meat" on it, the action has more. Argument is that they are the same action and one has a bigger hole in the action with more steel on the barrel while the other one has less steel in the action and more in the barrel.