PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Savage Sporters

jb177
11-09-2009, 12:06 AM
I need to get another "deer" rifle for my dad. Probably going with a standard 270 in sporter configuration. I know how good savage varmint rifles shoot, I load for 5 of them currently. But I have no experience with their sporter long-action rifles. To be honest, I've never even handled one.

Do the weather warrior series have the same type of accuracy as the varmint rifles? I'm just looking for MOA with handloads without having to spend extra $$ on trigger jobs, etc. like I would with most other brands. I'm a HUGE savage fan and that's all I've bought in last few years.

Anyhow, if anybody has some input, I'd appreciate it. Most of what I've read has about varmint type calibers or varmint rifles.

hank440
11-09-2009, 12:50 AM
I have a model 16 heavy sporter barrel in .260 that shoots about 1/2 MOA @100 yards with handloads no problem so have confidence it will definitley shoot less than 1 MOA

Three44s
11-09-2009, 01:00 AM
I'm pretty new to them myself but my wife and I own LA's in 7mm Rem and I don't think your accuracy stated requirement will be very challenging to achieve.

But it also struck me ......... what about a 260 barrel on one of your short actions for the duration of deer season ....... would that be advisable? Not that I oppose to .270 ...... own one in another brand and love them as well.

Just thinking out loud

Three 44s

jpdown
11-09-2009, 01:58 AM
I believe the 116 Weather Warrior now comes with the Accustock. You should be able to easily get MOA accuracy with 270 handloads and the 22" sporter barrel. Switch out Accutrigger spring to the lighter varmint trigger spring from SSS and you should be able to adjust pull weight down to 2.5 to 2.0 lbs. Plus you'll have lots of switch barrel options if your dad decides he wants something different.

I just put a Sin Arms 260 Remington 22" #1 contour barrel on my Savage LA rifle for the upcoming deer season. I've been to the range a couple of times and it is likely going to replace my .308 Remington Model 7 as a favorite deer rifle. I'm getting varmint barrel accuracy (sub 0.5") with handloads. This barrel on a Savage LA in Stockade Hunter stock makes a fairly lightweight rifle (under 8 lbs with scope). It's well balanced and easier to shoot well due to the minimal recoil. It should be a real deer thumper.

bluealtered
11-09-2009, 09:06 AM
My package rifle .270 was the least accurate savage i have owned. It would only do moa, ... it did however take a number of elk at ranges from 50-300yds. This was from a $359 rifle/scope package from one of my local mart-mart stores. And that was with factory ammo, you should do ok for deer. blue

trappst
11-09-2009, 09:14 AM
The thinner sporter barrels is about all I shoot anymore. Don't care for the extra weight with the varmint contour and as long as you don't overheat 'em, the sporters shoot just as well.

This is my Stevens 25-06 during it's first round of load development. Two shots together and I pushed the 3rd a little low.....didn't have the stock fully against the stop on the front rest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/trappst/th_2506group.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v284/trappst/?action=view&current=2506group.jpg)

Don't worry, a sporter 270 win. will fill the freezer with no problems!

jb177
11-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks, that was what I wanted to hear. Now I just need to pick out a model out of the 10 or so they offer. It's nice to have options.