PDA

View Full Version : pressure signs from factory ammo

Werewolf
09-10-2011, 05:42 PM
So about a week ago I went out with my beloved to do a little target shooting and make sure my rifles are tuned up for the upcoming seasons. I will often shoot some cheap factory stuff just to make sure My scope isn't pointing into outer space, and once I am sure it is close to being on I will try out my handload of choice. I had a box of federal factory ammo left over from last year so I popped a round into my 270 and let her go. BLAM! It kicked like a mule, and when I ejected the case the primer fell out in my hand! :o. I have cranked of a few hot handloads before, but this has never happened to me from factory before. The ammo rode with me in the ac car so it wasn't hot, and I have shot this ammo in this gun before. Do they occasionally put out a hot batch? Thank God I didn't let my wife shoot it first, she would have never touched it again.

airaddict
09-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Maybe it was the vibration from riding in a car so long.....same effect as putting live rounds in a vibratory cleaner. It breaks down the individual grains of powder into smaller pieces which changes the burn rate.

How long were they in ur car?

Brian

earl39
09-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Check with the manufacturer to see if there is a recall on that lot number of ammo. If you saved the hull i would call and tell the manufacturer about it. They might want the rest of the box back and you would get a new box of ammo if they do.

scooters45
09-11-2011, 03:03 AM
That load (lot) must have slipped thru thier QC. I have had primers flatten on factory loads (6.5 x 55 mm) I was glad I was using them in a 98 action.

I would contact the manufacture and see what they have to say.

Werewolf
09-11-2011, 11:05 AM
The loads were in the car ~30 minutes. I have had them since last year tho. I think I will contact federal and see what they say, thanks for the input guys.

airaddict
09-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Oh ok.....when u said in the car i thought maybe a few weeks! Lol.

Yeah i would contact the manufacturer to let them know what happened. This is how recalls get started. U could save a life!

Brian

bigedp51
09-11-2011, 10:14 PM
If you left "ANY" oil or grease in the chamber or bore this can cause a pressure spike, "ALL" oil and grease should be removed before firing, even Hoppe's #9 or light oil can cause this to happen.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/boltthrust.jpg

Werewolf
09-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Well I cleaned my hunting rifles that had been in mothballs before we went to shoot to remove the storage lube, but can I say I was especially careful to dry the chamber completely? No. It is possible that I missed some in this particular rifle. Never happened to me before though. Before I shoot it again (with different ammo!) I will be sure the chamber is clean just to remove the possibility. Thanks for that reminder!

darkker
09-12-2011, 04:13 PM
I bought some brand new Federal High-Energy stuff for my 308 a few years ago. That happened to me, as well as ignition when the bolt closed(NO fireing pin marks on the primer) called Federal, and they had a recall that wasn't for the High energy, but then added my lots to it as well.