PDA

View Full Version : Why so many rifle scope close outs.

zeegadget
09-10-2011, 04:22 PM
I have noticed that there have been a lot of close outs on rifle scopes. I have seen some sales

where you save as much as 400 dollars on a rifle scope. Does someone have some inside information

on what may be going on in the rifle scope manufacturing process?????

Tom

zeegadget
09-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Looks like nobody had any ideas.... I went looking and here is some info I found....

http://www.authorpalace.com/recretion-and-leisure/outdoors/hunting/high-end-rifle-scopes-by-swarovski.html Several of the new Swarovski rifle scopes sport some of the new Meade sourced technology.

http://simmonsriflescopes.blogspot.com/ Never before in the history of rifle scope production, has a company use Premium ED glass exclusively on its lenses. Because of these advancements, it’s safe to say that they will pave the way for the future of rifle scopes.

So... What I have found... Meade is associated with Simmons and they are doing something with the ED glass. As you see they even are working with Swarovski. So, maybe all the scopes will be getting the Meade ED glass.

Tom

r29l20
09-11-2011, 09:50 PM
It all boils down to marketing. Everyone want this years new & improved stuff. I look at it like this, if it's what you want & need, great. Even this years new & improved stuff will be old next year anyway. :)

anomad
09-11-2011, 10:36 PM
The world has gone tacti-cool. Everyone wants a FFP/mil/mil scope. Those old SFP MOA scopes are trash now.

dcloco
09-11-2011, 11:02 PM
The world has gone tacti-cool. Everyone wants a FFP/mil/mil scope. Those old SFP MOA scopes are trash now.

LOL! So true. I have bought several scopes from a website that I affectionately call "scope of the month club". Members are the first to have the newest rendition from whichever high end manufacturer is delivering at the moment. Just think it is crazy to buy a Leupy Mark 4, M1, 6.5-20x50 with reticles of Varmint Hunter, Mil Dots, Tactical Milling, or duplex...for $700/ish shipped/insured. Have slowly been upgrading scopes as money allows. Don't know that these will improve the ability of the user (me), but at least I will be able to see how far I missed by. :)

langenc
10-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Maybe buying more ammo and shooting more will get you more X's/deer.

Dennis
10-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Just look at any website. You have about 400 choices on scopes!

IMO there is only two, Nightforce and Swarvoski

squirrelsniper
10-14-2011, 10:02 AM
I think some of it has been caused by the economy over the last few years. It seemed that new scope development slacked off for a couple or three years, but now suddenly it seems like everyone is coming out with newer models. So, dealers have kinda gotten stuck with some of the older models that didn't sell very well due to the economy, especially some of the higher end models. And with the new model intros, they're just getting rid of that older stock at prices that are way below what they used to be.

nuclabuyer
10-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I am with Dennis, except I like sightron too.

romulus
10-14-2011, 01:03 PM
I think some of what we see is the approximation of market demands. NF is more or less approximating or getting closer to US optics style turrets which I would prefer, but I'm going to shoot NF (mostly) until one fails in any criteria.

I think people like FFP because they can't screw up with magnification. I used to do it every so often and I see people do it all the time if they aren't practised or getting back into the swing of things. If you know how to run a SFP you can really have great flexibility. Kinda like golfing with cavity backed Callaways or with Mizuno blades. :P

FFP is great for some applications, but most people I know that are tacticool shoot their rifles about 30-100 rounds a year, maybe 250-500 if they have an AR.

I know guys that have a scope that costs at least $1500 on each gun they own, and I know guys that have a scope that costs $275 on each gun up to 10 guns. I always preach to buy something like a NF once , buy a torque tool, and get a set of high end detachable set of rings (I use the Unimount and have used a Larue which isn't up to snuff for longterm use like this) and you can switch your scope from gun to gun to gun and hit within 0.5 - 1.00 of where it was when you took the scope off. Now that I'm getting a feel for the process I'm usually within a .5 bull center.

People tell me it takes too long, so two years ago I brought 5 rifles to the range and switched my "big" NF across all of them in and shot a 1.2" group @ 100 in about 4-5 minutes. Aiming and turning the turrets to the correct coordinates takes the most time.

Sorry to get off topic and rant ;D but I always want to tell people there is a cheaper and IMO simpler way than buying up scopes of the month. Also you don't have a varmint reticle on this scope, a mil dot on that one, ffp here, sfp there, front parallax, side parallax, etc. It makes each of your guns a joy to shoot at any range. Consistent and precise. Those are the dimensions of accuracy.