PDA

View Full Version : Left handed conversion- SA .473 to WSM

youngtrout
09-08-2011, 01:33 AM
Hello

Just need a second opinion here. Planning on taking a left handed short action with a 308 bolt face to a 7 saum. I go to midway and the only bolt face that seems suitable is a controlled round feed bolt face? Something change here? I took a 110 from 270 to 300 wm a few years back and just replaced the push feed for a mag pushfeed.

I know I may need to change the mag box and follower but any insight for the bolt head would be appreciated

Thanks

handirifle
09-08-2011, 01:57 AM
Check with the vendors here, Sharp Shooters Supply comes to mind first. I've never had one, but it's my understanding that the CRF receivers are different, so I doubt it would work on yours. Best to find the proper one. Might have to have one made up for a short action. Not sure about that, though.

youngtrout
09-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Couldn't get anyone on the phone today but I'll expand my search here, someone has for sure done it.

So far what I know basically from what you can buy,,,,will need the controller round feed left hand bolt head, the extractor, detent ball and spring, think I can use the ejector from my current bolt head.

Where I'm still fuzzy is if I need a different firing pin, and bolt head retaining pin,,,,,,but I'll go home a measure what I have first,

Question is too, if I'll need the mag box a spring, but could get the bolt together and check that out

youngtrout
09-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Thought I found it in a search, that I needed a regular push feed mag,,,,in the same search someone else mentioning needing the controlled round feed.

I'll keep trying SSS, that also seems to be a popular answer

Carvera
09-08-2011, 09:27 PM
There are a couple of ways to accomplish what you want.

You could use a CRF WSM bolt head, and your front baffle you have now. Your action has not been cut for the standing ejector (like many of the staggered feed RUM's, WSM's, and RSAUM's are).

You could take a long action magnum bolt head, trim the tail end .190", and use the front baffle and firing pin that you have.

Or you could buy the new short action heavy magnum (9/16" lugs) bolt head, and relieved front baffle. Going this route, you will need to purchase the longer firing pin.

There are WSM staggered feed magazine boxes, but I don't think you need one. Just tweak the .308 box you have if you run into problems.

Think I'm right with the advice I've given, if wrong hopefully someone corrects me.

youngtrout
09-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Carvera, thanks for your explanation. Not sure the functioning of the controlled round feed head but the push feed conversion is something I know, have gone that route with a couple 110's.

Guess the next question is what's the best route? And I don't know if I mentioned this but this is a stagger fed action.

So weigh in if you have gone with any of Carveras options (thanks again)

Feeding is the most important consideration

Carvera
09-09-2011, 08:33 AM
If you need it to be a repeater action, I would go with either trimming a long action magnum bolthead (which would be the cheapest route) and then going with the newer short action bolthead and relieved front baffle.

I notice that there are not too many suppliers who sell the newer bolthead and baffle.

If you could trim a long action magnum bolthead yourself, you'd be set. But I do know that a competent gunsmith/machinist should be able to do the job for fairly cheap.

I wonder how an early short action caliber built on a long action receiver (e.g, a 110 in .308) would work? I wonder if you could swap out the .308 box for a WSM box, and then switch out the .473" bolthead for a .532" bolthead and have a WSM on a long action receiver.

youngtrout
09-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Carvera

From my searching, as for the 110, thats the route (Just installed a mag bolt face) It actually looks pretty sraightforward.

I'll try to get ahold of SSS and see what their recomendation is as well, I'd like to go with just shaving the long bolt head down