PDA

View Full Version : Help with barrel installation

Onceinawhile
09-07-2011, 02:25 PM
I am in the process of building a 260 on a long action with a new Criterion barrel. The last three builds I have done have also been on long actions and I have not encountered this problem.

I am trying to head space the barrel with a case, which I have also done in the past. The problem is with either the new recoil lug or old recoil lug, I can not screw the barrel in far enough. I have the lock nut screwed all the way towards the muzzle but the nut bottoms out on the reciever before the case is seated into the bolt face. The only way I can get the case to headspace is to take the recoil lug off completely. Then I only have about 1/16 of an inch to tighten up the lock nut.

The thread length on the new barrel is the same as the old barrel. The lock nut is also the same length as on another rifle. I thought about grinding the lock nut down but I would have to grind it at least 1/4 of an inch.

I am at a loss as to what to do or what to look for. Can ya'll help me with some ideas?

thanks

noelfr
09-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Any chance you might have nut on the wrong way? Not certain but that seems to be the only variable I can think of. Only other possibility that comes to mind is an improperly cut chamber. Does your case stop in the right position when you feed it in by hand? Good luck.

thirty06
09-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Sounds like your barrel nut is fully threaded inside. You need one that is only partly threaded inside.

Onceinawhile
09-07-2011, 04:01 PM
yep case stops where it should when hand inserted.

the nut is threaded all the way. I did not realize some were partially threaded. where do I find a partially threaded nut?

northlander
09-07-2011, 04:14 PM
If your Barrel Nut is full length threaded you need to remove the threads in the first .350 of the Barrel Nut. Have it opened to about 1.070" and create a skirt area on the front of the Barrel Nut.

Option two purchase a Stainless Barrel Nut that will match your heavy duty recoil lug and your new Criterion Barrel. You can get them from several suppliers, I offer them for $18.00.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Werewolf
09-08-2011, 10:36 AM
I had the same problem with my first build! Replacing it with one of the newer factory nuts solves the problem. The new nut will sleeve right over the barrel and give you more room.

Onceinawhile
09-08-2011, 04:10 PM
thanks for all of the help guys. now that ya'll mention it I do rember the other lock nuts being partially threaded. I will get another one.