PDA

View Full Version : Changing caliber of a Steven's Model 200

jimmyraythomason
09-06-2011, 07:55 PM
I am currently trying to rebarrel my Steven's Model 200 in .223 remington to .243 winchester. I have the barrel,bolt head,magazine box as well as barrel wrench and headspace gauges. My problem is the front baffle. I definitely have a short action. The current baffle has a long leg on the outboard side that contacts the bolt stop. This prevents the bolt being withdrawn far enough to allow the longer .243 ammo to be feed from the magazine. I purchased another front baffle for a short action (sight unseen)and got the same thing I already have. My question is can I shorten the leg on the new baffle until it allows the bolt to be fully withdrawn or do I need one for a long action?

jimmyraythomason
09-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Found out a lot of what I was looking for on another thread. Still would like to know if I can cut the longer "leg" off of the front baffle?

Skunce
09-06-2011, 10:00 PM
I've trimmed mine down in the past and don't see any problem in doing so.

airaddict
09-06-2011, 10:21 PM
.If ur interested in getting rid of the 223 bolt and barrel shoot me a pm. Ide be interested in both for the right price! :-)

Brian

jimmyraythomason
09-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Okay.I shortened the front buffer and it works great! Now I need to know how to get the magazine out without having to destroy it?

stangfish
09-07-2011, 05:14 PM
I take a small flat blade screwdriver and put it under the rear clip in the same axis as the stock twist and lift until it gets in a bind. Go to the muzzzle end and pry upwards till it gets in a bind. Go back to the front untill it comes out. the spring will asssist the process. This is important; you may need to remove any proud plastic or "burrs" on the clip side of the action bed on the foreward end. Sometimes some material gets forced up from prying. A sharp knife or small file stroking only downward should do the trick. It is ok to have a low spot but a high spot is BAAAAD! It really is easy after you do it once. Good luck.

jimmyraythomason
09-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Thanks stang but this is a staggered feed rifle,the magazine is attached to the receiver. I can't get it loose without destroying it. I would like to be able to reinstall it sometime.

5spd
09-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks stang but this is a staggered feed rifle,the magazine is attached to the receiver. I can't get it loose without destroying it. I would like to be able to reinstall it sometime.

All I do is pry it off with a large flathead screwdriver, very easy, off & on many times.

jimmyraythomason
09-08-2011, 12:33 AM
All I do is pry it off with a large flathead screwdriver, very easy, off & on many times. We MUST be talking about different magazines because that clearly won't work on mine!

ellobo
09-08-2011, 12:51 AM
The magazine is attache to the reciever I assume. Put the blade of a flat screwdriver under the top front tab in a slot in the reciever, at a 45 degree angle and give the screwdriver a rap,That should get the tab out of the slot it is in and the magazine will fall off.

El Lobo

handirifle
09-08-2011, 02:02 AM
The magazine is attache to the reciever I assume. Put the blade of a flat screwdriver under the top front tab in a slot in the reciever, at a 45 degree angle and give the screwdriver a rap,That should get the tab out of the slot it is in and the magazine will fall off.

El Lobo

That's what I always do. Sometime takes a couple good pops.

Netz
09-08-2011, 02:42 AM
I think I read once someone used a "C" clamp to squeeze the mag (front to rear), then popped it out with a screwdriver.
Curt

jimmyraythomason
09-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Put the blade of a flat screwdriver under the top front tab in a slot in the reciever, at a 45 degree angle and give the screwdriver a rap,That should get the tab out of the slot it is in and the magazine will fall off.

I think I read once someone used a "C" clamp to squeeze the mag (front to rear), then popped it out with a screwdriver.
Thanks,I'll give those a try.

jimmyraythomason
09-08-2011, 09:02 AM
I got the magazine boxes swapped out finally. I was trying to pry it out which wasn't working. I used a thick bladed screwdriver at the rear of the box and sharply rapped it with a hammer....it fell out without (much) damage to the box. I installed the new box in reverse order. Thanks for the suggestions!