PDA

View Full Version : To much barrel for laminate?

jsimonh
09-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Just looking for experience and opinions. I bought a LRV from stockys a while back and now I'm planning on using it for my .284 build. My only worry is that the barrel being a CBI 28" Bull might be to much weight for the laminate. Should I look for something with an aluminum insert? Maybe bed a little past the nut, or not worry about it and bed as normal? I don't have everything here yet, so I'm really just over thinking everything at this point! :-\ Thanks.

davemuzz
09-06-2011, 07:03 AM
By the time you get the scope on it....it's not gonna be a "lightweight" that's for sure. I'd get to the gym until all the stuff gets in for you to build it. ;D :D As far as the bedding goes, just bed it as normal. I wouldn't go past the recoil lug and remember....just bed the back of the lug only!! Don't bed the sides, bottom or front. Just make sure you put two (I'd put three or four) applications of masking tape to the sides, bottom and front of the recoil lug so the only thing touching the stock when your done is the back of the lug.

I'm assuming your buying a Harris bi-pod or you have one that your going to attach.

Should be a shooter....post some pics of the targets when you get it done and back from "field testing." Because if your just gonna tell us a story....I may as well just go to the bar and listen to all of those B-S stories about how good this gun is and how good that gun is and end up looking like this: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/drunksquirrel2jq.jpg

logic factory
09-16-2011, 10:25 AM
does anyone want to explain or provide a link i can read on, why people prefer to bed only the back surface of the barrel lug?

sharpshooter
09-16-2011, 01:05 PM
The back surface is the only side that gets contact from recoil. Bedding a lug "tight" only causes problems when re seating into the stock. The lug tends to shave bedding material off when assembling, leaving crumbs in the bottom.
If you decide later on to change the barrel, or just to remove and reinstall, the lug will tend to shift slightly from side to side making for interference into the lug pocket. That's why it's a good idea to leave clearance all the way around the periphery.

logic factory
09-16-2011, 02:33 PM
makes sense, thank you.
i failed to acknowledge how the forces of recoil relate differently across the various surfaces of the lug. i had seen in a couple videos of bedding where the fabricator left voids around some surfaces and not others but had also seen videos where the complete lug was bedded. i passed it off as personal preference until i read the post that prompted the question. i will adopt your recommendation when the time comes and leave some space around all other sides.

rjtfroggy
09-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Before you do anything plan on a little work on that stock. I just got one for my build and I had to open up the recoil lug opening (nss lug was too thick) I also had to sand the barrel channel out for my 18" varmint barrel,set the pillars and now I need to work on the mag well because of movement when firing.So if you don't mind my suggestion of not jumping into anything extra just get it together and try it out first.
I haven't written anything up on my build yet but when I find out who BORROWED my camera I will a full write up.Some will laugh others will be able to relate.