PDA

View Full Version : First Timer

TPB12345
09-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Tried taking the barrel of my Stevens 200 for the first time today. I've had the nut wrench for a while and just got the barell vice a week or so ago so figured it was time. Got the barell vice mounted and the barell all tightened down and tried spinning it with an 18" bar on the nut wrench and it just spun. Tightned the vice down some more and tried again and it still twisted in the vice. I tried after with a "quicker" twist rather then a steady pull and it loosened right off like nothing, and the action spun off really easy.

I had plans to sell the barell when I get my new one, but now that I know how easy it is I may keep it around to play with.

One of the things I was curious about was the recoil lug. In an aftermarket lug is it the thickness or its uniformity that makes a difference? Could I have the factory lug "trued" or is it better to get a thicker aftermarket lug?

Thanks guys for all the awesome info so far.

5spd
09-05-2011, 07:09 PM
The aftermarket lug, both make it 100% better.
Easier to order the lug from NSS & keep the old one in a spare parts can.
Its addicting also.
Midwayusa is your friend for other savage parts also.

82boy
09-05-2011, 10:02 PM
One of the things I was curious about was the recoil lug. In an aftermarket lug is it the thickness or its uniformity that makes a difference? Could I have the factory lug "trued" or is it better to get a thicker aftermarket lug?

The aftermarket lugs are ground flat, where the factory lugs are just pressed out of steel. I have taken factory lugs and trued them up, but it takes a lot of work, and it is not worth the effort.