PDA

View Full Version : Savage model 10FP-SR for dogs

roadkill46
09-05-2011, 12:51 PM
i just picked up a Savage 10FP-SR in .308 for coyotes here in AZ. pelts are not even being bought so damage is of no concern. if see a bob or fox i have my 835 mossy for them. I felt that i needed a bolt action to try to round out my predator arsenal as i have 5 dedicated AR's for different purposes, my bushy and my ground up build Spike are my main dog guns.
my question is in regard to the flimsy stock and using the trigger sticks. resting that heavy barrel on the sticks pushes the stock up to contact barrel (it does not get cold where i live so the heat has an effect). It is the new 4.40 action screw distance so i was thinking about a B/C tactical medalist for a new stock. We use ATVs to get to within 50 yards of stands so weight is not that much of a concern. what do you all think of the Medalist for a predator rifle stock? the price is good for me, and there is no wait as they are in stock and i don't want to wait forever on a totally custom stock build. The rifle will be wearing a Schmidt and Bender Short Dot, FFP, 1.1x4x24. I may not be able to use the LaRue mount made for the S&B due to the height i am using a 20 MOA EGW rail. I may have to go with some regular medium rings.
I've been pred hunting over 30 years but this is the first tupperwear bolt action that i have used. the rest in the safe are wood, other than ARs and way to pretty to be out in the mesquite.
So any suggestions and opinions are appreciated. thanx in advance.

M.O.A.
09-05-2011, 09:09 PM
you could fill the forearm up with glass bedding and aluminum arrows and stiffen it up a little

there is a post on here that shows how to doit.

or the new stock is a good one if weight is not a problem for you but stockys or boyds have light weight varmint stocks that i really like there laminated

darkker
09-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Personally, for what you are doing; DON'T buy the medalist.
I DO like them, but as this is going to be your "rolling in the brush" gun. Get the Duramaxx. They look pretty close to the Stock...Stock; But actually have rigidity. The Duramaxx will serve you perfectly well for your purpose, and leave you more cash for bullets, or Win 748!!

roadkill46
09-06-2011, 09:26 AM
i was not being literal about rolling in the brush but the finish will get scratched on the scrubs that we have out here to use as a backdrop. and i would not want to ding up that beautiful laminate that boyds has, excellent after a few coats of tung oil. they don't make the duramaxx for the 4.40 and i don't have the time to inlet and drill and repillar it to fit the centerfeed action. I have a boyds on my 10-22 and it has the same type of forearm on it, fits the trigger stick quite well after trying it last nite. money is not really an issue and neither is weight like i said. i'll try the medalist and if not, sell lit off. thanx for the input.