PDA

View Full Version : Burris Signature Zee rings thread size question

harro
09-05-2011, 04:28 AM
G'day

I made a stupid mistake today, when putting my scope back on my rifle that I have just bedded, I managed to snap one of the small bolts that clamp the rings onto the Weaver bases.It was my dumb mistake and I should have known better.I always torque them up to 30 inch pounds , but I set it wrong and snapped it off >:(
I have removed the piece that was stuck in the threads with no damage to the threads but now need a new bolt.Does anyone know what size thread these things use.I have looked at the Burris web site but it doesn't mention anything on there that I can see.I would like to replace it with a cap screw type bolt (The ones that use allen key heads not the screw driver straight slot that the original ones have.If I can find some replacement ones from my local engineering , bolt shop I will replace all of them on the three rifles that I use these rings on .

Thankyou for your time

harro

BoilerUP
09-05-2011, 07:19 AM
You can call Burris customer service and they'll send you a couple extra base screws for free.

...at least they did for me

Skunce
09-05-2011, 11:26 AM
The original screws are 6-40. I ordered 6-40 Allen socket head screws from a local Fasteners store for mine. On one set I drilled and re-tapped the rings to 8-32 and used socket head screws. I like the 8-32 or 6-40 socket head screws much better than the slotted factory screws.

RWO
09-05-2011, 02:00 PM
The 6-40 screws used by Burris are needed to fit Weaver bases. If you use Picatinny bases, they have a larger cross slot and a 8-32 screw will fit. Just drill out and tap the original screw holes for 8-32 and get some 1" SHCS from the hardware store.

RWO

harro
09-07-2011, 05:07 AM
G'day

Thanks for the replies,I have ordered some 6-40 ones through my local shop.They don't stock bolts that small , but they are getting some in for me.
Can I also say thank you RWO for mentioning about how the 8-32 will not fit the Weaver bases, which I have .You saved me alot of trouble, I was going to upsize from the original ones but have changed my mind.

Thankyou for your time.

harro

harro
09-12-2011, 02:50 AM
G'day

Well I finnally got my mistake sorted out.
It turns out that finding the correct 6-40 screws here in Australia is harder than first thought.
I could have got them but I had to wait to long.
I ended up using 4 mm cap screws in stainless steel.I tapped out the old thread and although they are a little bigger than the originals , they still fit the Weaver bases that I'm using.It is alot easier to get metric sized screws and bolts here.

Thankyou for your time

harro