PDA

View Full Version : Accutrigger malfunctions...

yooperamoungtrolls
09-04-2011, 08:15 PM
This was presented by an individual on another forum. Since we are all Savage shooters here, I was wondering if anyone here has experienced a malifuction or FTF with an Accutrigger equiped Rifle(that can be atributed to the trigger). Ive have a model 16 weather warrior in .308 for about a year now with approx. 200 rounds ran, NOT one issue. Please respond if you have had NO issues as well, I would like to get a general head count.

thanks

BoilerUP
09-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Ive got two Accutrigger Savages, no FTF here.

earl39
09-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Most of us that have adjusted a trigger have had a fail to fire. Most of the time we find the problem before loading but sometimes the trigger will work itself to a lighter setting while firing. Also almost all target triggers will have a FTF if you try to get all you can out of the trigger. Most of the time just adjusting the trigger a touch heavier will cure the problem. You can also get a FTF if you are pulling the trigger crooked. I would say whoever it is has one of these two problems. Most people will never have a problem if they leave the trigger at the factory setting.

Gary

noelfr
09-04-2011, 08:58 PM
I've had several "failure to fire" incidents (notice I didn't say problems). I shoot nothing but paper. As a result I set my quasi bench rest guns w/ a very light trigger. I use the accutrigger as essentially a two stager. This doesn't cause me any problems but a friend was shooting the rifle the other day and couldn't quite come to grips w/ not slamming the bolt down. When you do that it trips the "second stage" (the sear) and this is caught by the accutrigger mechanism leading to a FTF. A simple recock puts me in business again. On rifles that I actually carry around or plan to compete in high power with I set the pull a bit higher. Again no problem. The friends that have had "problems" have had them cured by dialing in a slightly heavier pull. This is something that is fine if you are willing to live within the limitations but not something for a general usage weapon. Probably 7-800 rounds w/ 4-5 accutriggers. BTW I would NOT reccomend this w/ any other trigger.

sniper15545
09-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Most ftf's are operator error. People do not pull straight back on the trigger which causes this. On the target
accu-trigger's If you close the bolt to hard this can cause a ftf also. My F-class is set at about five ounces and if you slam the bolt shut it will not fire without opening the bolt and closing it easy.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I have six accu-triggers and have never had a problem.

82boy
09-04-2011, 09:48 PM
I can say without a doubt having a failure to fire is the most frustrating thing in the world. This is one reason I am not a big fan of the target accu-trigger. The target accu-trigger set at low setting has this problem when the bolt is closed, part of this is contributed to the heavy BT bolt handle. When in a match setting and when you have switchy winds, and you need to get shots off fast, a FTF do to the accu-trigger will make you want to scream and throw the rifle. (Trust me been there, done that, got the t shirt to prove it.) This is why I only have 1 accu-trigger rifle.

darkker
09-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Have had several.
MOSTLY it is due to the spring being set to light, and the jar-ing of the bolt closing will half trip it.
Remember that the bluing on the accu-trigger's pot metal is the hardest thing about it. So be VERY mindful if you are wanting/trying to eliminate some of it's creep, by polishing. VERY SOFT metal.