PDA

View Full Version : XLR Evolution Chassis

Pages : [1] 2 3

rusty815
09-04-2011, 04:03 AM
hey everyone, i dont plan on buying the chassis anytime soon (or ever, dont plan on paying more for a stock than i did for a rifle, if i did i would buy a custom rifle :P ) but i just want to get some experiences on the modular system, and maybe some comparisons to some of the composite stocks out there. what do you like about the chassis? and how does it perform vs something like a manners, stockade, sss, or mcmillan stock?

09-06-2011, 02:34 AM
Not sure what you need the info for if you are not considering buying one, but any way......the XLR Evolution has been excellent in every way so far. It is heavier than my Stockade, but I like that. Instead of having a bedding block in a composite stock, the stock IS the bedding block so it should be more stable with less chance for failure of some kind. Plus it just looks great!

I am pretty new to all this stuff, and am very inexperienced when placed side by side with most of the folks on here so take what I say with a grain of salt!

Does a custom barrel/brake/stock/scope(had to call NF to get it made ;)) pretty much make my rifle a "custom" rifle?

rusty815
09-06-2011, 04:35 AM
who knows, maybe one of you guys can convince me into buying one if i get enough people with excellent experiences ;)

personally i dont understand what it offers that a good composite stock offers, but thats because i have no experience with them. i love the look of the all aluminum chassis, and the modular design is appealing, but thats all i got so far haha.

davemuzz
09-06-2011, 06:34 AM
I honestly don't know what it offers that a good composite stock can't either. Other than maybe I don't have to do any bedding with this one....the "cool" factor has gone (on a scale of 1 to 10) from 3 to 9.5 ;D, and I'm just gonna guess that all I really have to do is drop in the barreled action....torque it to whatever in\lbs they recommend, and go out and shoot the eyes out of flys at 400 yards.

It has a built in bi-pod, so there's $100 on a Harris I'm not spending......at least I think these come standard.......The product is made right here in the USA!!!....I do like that.

Yeah....maybe a bit pricy, but I like this gizmo!!! Let's see....buy an action....wrench on a good custom barrel.....get a quality scope (you pick what you like....mine stars with an "L" and I send it to their custom shop and get a custom turret ;D :D) Wrench it on this stock....and I think you got yerself one purdy gun that has got to be as accurate as all get out!!!!

And.....like somebody said....only accurate guns are interesting!!!

Fun stuff!!

Dave

rusty815
09-06-2011, 07:22 AM
last i checked the bipod isnt standard, but its an option to have one built in ;)

i like the cool factor of it as well, although i think an aluminum bedded stock would work pretty similarly in terms of not having to bed it. and anytime i get a chance to buy something made in the USA, i take it ;D

maybe once i buy a custom barrel, this would be a great addition, for now im sticking with my stockade rollover cheek thumbhole, once i customize it enough, i might just get this to make the rifle look cool ;D 8)

09-10-2011, 05:13 AM
Well, I can't say it will make you more accurate, or it will be more stable, or last longer than any other stock. I haven't noticed a difference from B&C to HS to Stockade to SSS to Joel Russo to the XLR. The adj extreme butt stock is very nice though! I don't shoot any better or worse with any of them, and I don't use some of them as I use others so it wouldn't be a fair game to put them side by side as I don't plan on carrying the 17+ lb .338 Edge with the XLR through the woods any time soon!

Unless I take up body building in the near future!

I won't try to talk you into one because most folks have their minds made up, and nothing you can say or do will change it. One less person with the same stock is ok with me, I like to go the road less traveled. :D

The fact that you will never have to worry about the barrel touching the stock(unless you really, really screw some thing up) is nice!

rusty815
09-10-2011, 06:02 AM
i dont know much about stocks, at least for the savage, ive used a few mcmillans before on some remington 700s, ordered a stockade stock a month ago to see how it does, im basically open to types of stocks for savage, but i am very well experienced with them on remington 700s (i own 5 700s)

aluminum chassis' have always intrigued me, ive seen many military sniper rifles with similar looking builds, i just dont understand why, are they easier to produce or repair? you can make a composite stock almost as customizable, so i dont think its that, i believe its because they should be easier to repair (part breaks, you can easily get a replacement, if a composite stock breaks, you eather fix it with icing or something, or its broken too much for repair :P)

Varget 7-08
09-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Have you looked at the Mcree chassis? Just a personal opinion, I don't care for the XLR chassis, but Love Mcree's chassis. My .02

rusty815
09-10-2011, 04:24 PM
woah, havent seen the mcree chassis before, it looks amazing (again, im a sucker for the look of an aluminum chassis ::) ) any pictures of it?

i went to the website, and the most important thing i got out of it though, is that they make aics magazines for cheap (58 dollars isnt really cheap, but its cheaper than anywhere else ;D )

Varget 7-08
09-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Here's a link that has pictures of the newest model
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2713787

I love the OD green, but the Desert Tan looks good too.

I've heard great things about Mcree

davemuzz
09-10-2011, 09:47 PM
The mcree chassis looks nice.....but I guess it's a personal preference thing. I like the looks of the XLR over the Mcree myself. ;D

rusty815
09-10-2011, 10:27 PM
the mcree chassis looks nice, but its a little too boxy for me, it looks less refined than the xlr chassis, but im more interested in the mcree precision magazines ;D

09-11-2011, 12:52 AM
I would have to say just for looks the XLR wins hands down. The Mcree to the XLR, to me, looks like a Sten vs a Thompson. I really like the 360 degree hand guard on the XLR.

memilanuk
09-11-2011, 01:22 AM
The XLR is pretty sweet looking... the only things that kind of give me pause about it is the limits of the barrel clamp on the scope rails... sounds like any kind of cantilevered scope rail that over hangs the front of the receiver (Nightforce, EGW) is out, and while the tactical butt-stock is looks pretty cool... I'm guessing the McRee may just be a wee bit more rugged just due to the amount of connection surface between the upper and lower halves of the butt. Maybe a bit overkill, but then again... ;) I think the XLR probably *is* a bit lighter overall than the McRee (not entirely a bad thing if you have to carry the dang thing over hill and dale).

Not saying I wouldn't get one; just these are things that I think of when I look at 'em.

rusty815
09-11-2011, 01:56 AM
i also think the mcree is more rugged, if i had to pick one to go hunting in the dangerous, rocky mountains here in cali (i wouldnt use an aluminum chassis here, mainly because where i go its 115 degrees during the day, leaving the rifle for a few minutes in the sun would make it unusable) id pick the mcree, it seems a little more convenient for hunting. the xlr seems like more of a hunting rifle, it just doesnt seem rugged enough to last me a few years while hunting.

LabRat2k3
09-12-2011, 02:04 AM
JP Enterprises makes one of these stocks also. It is called the JP AMCS and can be had with the tube forend or a regular forend. It runs over $1k+ as well.
http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.6.1_AMCS.php
http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JP-AMCS%20Modular

rusty815
09-12-2011, 02:13 AM
jeez, the xlr has a starting price of 600 i think, whats so special about the JP AMCS that makes it more expensive?

09-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Those two letters J and P make every thing much more expensive, but in most cases from what I hear, no better in the accuracy dept!

davemuzz
09-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Those two letters J and P make every thing much more expensive, but in most cases from what I hear, no better in the accuracy dept!

Let's see...."J" and "P" are sooner in the alphabet than "X", "L"....no....."L" is before "P"....but "R" is later than the "J" or the "P". ::) I thought letter placement in the English alphabet had something to do with it?? :-\

LabRat2k3
09-12-2011, 02:19 PM
Must be geared toward the Remington crowd, you know they like to spend more and get less just because of the name on the box. Dave, maybe it's based on the number of letters, with a JP AMCS it's got to cost more to make. The A alone is worth double, everyone wants an A. I don't know, it seems like double D's have always been able to separate me from my money the quickest though :o.