PDA

View Full Version : new here

Jimmy
11-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Ok , I am new hear, and need some help.

I just purchased a 14 classic in 308 win. with detachable box mag.

I now find out that I can change barrels??? That really excites me!!!

Questions:

1. I believe I have the short action, so what calibers can I change to?
2. Do I have to load single shot? if so what dictates that?
3. Is it really as easy as screw off and screw on?
4. What about head space?
5. Specifically I really want to convert to 22-250 and maybe 25-06. Can these be done?

This all seems too good to be true!

jimmy

sinman
11-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Any short action calibers can be used to make it a repeater and you can use most long action ones to make it a single shot. 22-250 repeater, 25-06 single shot. With 2 tools you can take the barrels off. You will want a set of head space gauges to set the head space on what ever barrel you choose. It is very fun to do but also addicting. have fun with it

tammons
11-08-2009, 12:21 PM
1. I believe I have the short action, so what calibers can I change to?

Anything with the same shank size, except maybe the lapua rounds, or a 375 H+H, Rum etc.
With a bolt head and barrel change you could set up the shoot the short magnums, IE WSM, RCM, RSUM.

2. Do I have to load single shot? if so what dictates that?

Any short action shell will run through your mag and action, IE 243, 7mm-08, 223, 22-250 etc etc

3. Is it really as easy as screw off and screw on?

Pretty much. Assuming the same size bolt head is required, Unscrew the old barrel, screw on the new one, headspace it and titghten the barrel nut.

4. What about head space?

Done with go and nogo gages. About $50 for both.

5. Specifically I really want to convert to 22-250 and maybe 25-06. Can these be done?

22-250 is a short action cartridge and will run through your action.

25-06 is a long action cartridge so you would have to single feed it.

A 257 roberts or a 250-3000 savage will run though your action.

savageboy
11-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Jimmy: I would rec. doing a search- every one of these topics has been covered numerous times. It will save you time effort and energy and allow you to ask better questions as you will have all the basic info covered.

Jimmy
11-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the responses..
I should know that the forum is rich with info and being no stranger to forums I should have thought of that before I started asking so many questions.
I'm just soooo excited!