PDA

View Full Version : Feed Problems

280Ackley
09-03-2011, 10:16 AM
???

I have a 110 that I swapped barrels on. Bought it used, I think it was a 270, but it might have been a 30-06. I put on a 25-06. It's been a year and I don't remember. Anyway, it's a blind magazine. When I try to chamber a cartridge from the magazine it skews the back end of the brass and ends up half out of the gun. Anyone else had this problem and know the cure?

Slowpoke Slim
09-03-2011, 10:23 AM
By "skew" (?) do you mean the back end of the cartridge kicks up out of the magazine first and sort of stands on the nose of the bullet?

Is this a stagger feed or center feed action?

280Ackley
09-03-2011, 11:41 AM
The base of the cartridge ends up 45 degrees off axis to the bore sticking out the right side of the gun.

ellobo
09-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Slowly work the action with an empty cartridge with a bullet in it and see where the nose of the bullet goes. It might be hanging up and causing the rear of the bullet to skew sideways. Just a thought. It shuldnt do that if the extractor is in place and holding the cartridge head.
El Lobo

280Ackley
09-04-2011, 09:31 AM
The extractor is not engaging the cartridge head at all.

ellobo
09-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Sounds likeyou may have the wrong bolt head, one for a smaller dia. cartridge head. Also, check your headspace, yu may have too much.

El Lobo

gregmckinney
09-05-2011, 10:46 AM
First question is has the rifle always done this since you rebarrelled it? It sounds like the problem is with the spring steel sides of the magazine.When you say the extractor isn't engaging, it shouldn't until the bolt is closed. Remember that the round is pushed into the barrel by the bolt, but it does not fully engage the head/ extractor until seated. Check for burrs on the forward half of the magazine.