PDA

View Full Version : 100 GR CORE-LOKT

okie2
09-02-2011, 06:03 PM
First time I have ever tried reloading them I can't find an accurate load for them
6-06 Ackley caliber
tried H4831 51 grs to 54 grs gave up
now working with VV N165 workied up tp 53.0 grains
but nothing real good yet.
any sugestions as to what powder.
Also OAL is 3.340 max magizine length.

BrentWin
09-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Okie

Sometimes your rifle just doen't like the bullet that you want to work with. You might consider trying a different bullet.

Core-lokt bullets have good terminal performance, but aren't know for match accuracy.

Slowpoke Slim
09-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Not sure what powders you have on hand to try?

Medium to medium slow powders should do it, I would think. I don't load that cartridge myself, so I can't give you my recipe. I would think something like 4350, w-760, 4064, RL-15 area should work.

Before you gave up on H4831, what primers did you try, and did you try several primers in that powder before you gave up on it? Also, did you try different seating depth's in your test loads? My 6.5x284 wants that powder with a Fed match primer. My 243 doesn't like 4831 at all, but loves W-760 and that same Fed match primer.

And you never know when you get that one barrel that just flat will not shoot a specific bullet, or even bullet weight, at all. Not sure if you're there yet on yours, as you have a host of combinations yet to try.

Also try the Sierra 100 gr pro hunter, Nosler 95 ballistic tip, and Hornady 100 gr interlock.

What rifling twist rate do you have, what is the intended target, and at what distances?

--EDIT--

After looking at your load and perusing a couple of manuals, I think you may have to go even slower on your powder charge. Like 7828, Retumbo, H1000, RL-19 or RL-22. Maybe even RL-25, but would probably need a magnum primer for that one. I would not expect to see anything good accuracy wise until you get up near max pressure with these slower powders. That will bring the combustion consistency up where it needs to be and drop your extreme spreads. That is an awful lot of cartridge case capacity for a 6mm.

okie2
09-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Not sure what powders you have on hand to try?
I HAVE ABOUT ANY POWDER THAT IS MOSTLY USED

Medium to medium slow powders should do it, I would think. I don't load that cartridge myself, so I can't give you my recipe. I would think something like 4350, w-760, 4064, RL-15 area should work.

Before you gave up on H4831, what primers did you try, and did you try several primers in that powder before you gave up on it? Also, did you try different seating depth's in your test loads? My 6.5x284 wants that powder with a Fed match primer. My 243 doesn't like 4831 at all, but loves W-760 and that same Fed match primer.
I TRIED CCI & FED 210 I TRIED & SEATING DEPTH FROM MAX MAGIZINE LENGTH TO 1/8 SHORTER

And you never know when you get that one barrel that just flat will not shoot a specific bullet, or even bullet weight, at all. Not sure if you're there yet on yours, as you have a host of combinations yet to try.

Also try the Sierra 100 gr pro hunter, Nosler 95 ballistic tip, and Hornady 100 gr interlock.
IT SHOOTS THE NOSLERS & HORNADY'S FINE

What rifling twist rate do you have, what is the intended target, and at what distances?
1 IN 10
I HAVE TALKED TO OTHER MEN AND THEY AGREE CORE-LOKT'S ARE JUST JUNK.

--EDIT--

After looking at your load and perusing a couple of manuals, I think you may have to go even slower on your powder charge. Like 7828, Retumbo, H1000, RL-19 or RL-22. Maybe even RL-25, but would probably need a magnum primer for that one. I would not expect to see anything good accuracy wise until you get up near max pressure with these slower powders. That will bring the combustion consistency up where it needs to be and drop your extreme spreads. That is an awful lot of cartridge case capacity for a 6mm.

Yoda
09-27-2011, 09:54 AM
If your looking at using that core-lok for whitetails I can tell you it will NOT hold together at the speeds you will be pushing it