PDA

View Full Version : stock painting?

rocksteady
09-02-2011, 03:52 PM
is there a spray paint that can replicate the factory finish on a bell and carlson stock?

Netz
09-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Not that I know of.
I was looking for a paint to replicate the Remington 700 PSS Pebble texture, but could not find anything straight from the can, bed liner spray is too thick, Stone spray is about right but not exact and will need to be followed by your choice of color, some stone sprays replicate sand paper if that's what you want.
I've also heard of spraying model tube glue, thinned with acetone/nail polish remover, through an airbrush,it will come out stringy and hopefully some splatter, I don't have a junk brush to test this with, maybe a Harbor Freight junk brush with a large tip, I've also considered automotive trunk spray.
And there is a spider web spray, This may give you a slight texture, I haven't tested it.
All these have varying degrees of texture, just have to pick the right one for you.
Curt

rocksteady
09-03-2011, 06:23 AM
thanks for the advise...i tried calling mcmillan/bell and carlson/ and hs about the paint they use but they are very un specific. they just say its a urethane paint.....i checked out some industrial urethane paints and they are more expensive than its really worth. il just stick with the simple solutions before i spend 100+ dollars on a quart of paint.

12fv 308
09-03-2011, 06:58 AM
I did a stockade stock a few years ago and used the stone paint you can find in any walmart, home depot etc. It looks good and has held up very well. You can get the light sand color, spray that first, let dry then spray over with any color's you want to use. I also used a matt clear when I was done...
Pete

Dennis
09-03-2011, 09:33 AM
industrial urethane paints and they are more expensive than its really worth

Automotive stone guard with Urethane paint on top will be about the best. I don't know if anything comes close.

I have two stocks I am getting ready to paint, the urethane product (clear) alone cost me $150.00 But I know it will be right and will last!