PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for my first "Full" build. ????

Larrymc27
09-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Hello all,

I just ordered my barrel today (25-06Ack, 1-10 t, 26in varmint contour), still 3-6 months out. Im starting with a receiver, long action, detachable box mag , no trigger yet and a box full of factory parts I think all of them came from the action, (Maybee a 111).
Just one or two questions. AND any input you guys have is much appreciated. I want to be fully prepared to build and shoot as soon as it arives.

Q.1- Im thinking about the Choat Tactical on midway for around $220. Has anyone inlet this stock?
Q.2- should I use the Factory parts (barrel nut, recoil lug) or is it worth the extra $$ to use aftermarket?

Thank you Larrymc

bootsmcguire
09-01-2011, 10:01 PM
A1 - I do believe that a few people on here have had the Choate Tac inlet for AICS and factory mag setups. I don't know why you couldn't, I had one but I didn't have it inlet.

A2 - Didn't know there were aftermarket nuts, the factory ones are plenty good so I don't know why you would want an aftermarket nut. The lug is definitely worth the upgrade. Northland Shooting Supply has a great one. I have two so far and plan on more as needed. SSS also has one that I have heard is good, but have not seen one personally.

greenhornet-1
09-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Check on that stock at combatstocks.com. It's a little cheaper than midway.

CharlieNC
09-04-2011, 12:04 PM
I have the Choate tactical; aluminum v-block bedding fits well. Best shooter I have; better than my bedded laminates. Originally used the factory recoil lug and barrel nut with good results; recently replaced when I changed to a new barrel so difficult to tell how much difference. There was a used Choate for sale on the member classifieds a month or so ago.

psharon97
09-04-2011, 04:12 PM
I would have to save that choate makes good stocks. I got the UV and its pretty good, and considering the longevity of the stock you're looking at, its probably a good one.

As far as the recoil lug, I would change it out. I went with the SSS recoil lug, but the manufacturer probably wouldn't make much of a difference. Savage uses stamped steel whereas aftermarket does not. Just my .02

Larrymc27
09-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Thank Y'all. I think im gonna go with the AM Recoil lug....Thanks for the tip on the cheaper stock. I thought saving the money for this build would be the hard part.......not near as hard as waiting on the parts. :-\

I ordered my Barrel in the white. and I wand a matte finish, anny sugestions on finishes ???

rjtfroggy
09-05-2011, 11:20 AM
My suggestion is to spend a little more for Dura Coat gun finish.You can get it in a rattle can and it comes in different colors.IMO it is more durable than the Krylon paints and your cleaning solvents should not hurt it,can be bought at Midway, Brownells and a few other on line stores.Just follow the directions and it should last for quite a while.