PDA

View Full Version : Nitride questions

Coastal
08-30-2011, 10:25 PM
I have been reading on here of the nitride barrel treatment some of ya'll are using on your barrels and I have a couple of questions about it.

Can it be applied to chrome moly as well as stainless barrels?

Is it a finish, that is, once it has been performed on a rifle barrel or action do you need to apply a finish over it?

I have a Savage action that is chrome moly and is blued. It is a sporter weight rifle at the moment with a very thin barrel chambered in .300 WM. I am looking at rebarreling it with a heavier, longer stainless barrel and bedding it in a better stock. Not looking for a benchrest or varmint weight setup but more like a heavy sporter. What I am wondering is if I were to send the action and barrel off to be nitrided would it return with barrel and action looking the same despite being different materials and would it be a good exterior finish? I know the main benefit is the extended barrel life and less cleaning needed but it would sure be nice if it was also a good exterior finish and I could be done with both in one stop. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

ESSCEE
08-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Check out the thread at the top of this forum about nitriding it should answer all your questions. The finish from nitride will make SS and molly turn out the same.

Coastal
08-30-2011, 11:15 PM
It took some doing but I waded thru that thread. :D

Thanks. Looks like something I'd like to try on my next gun project.