PDA

View Full Version : Whats needed, Standard bolt face to SAUM bolt face.

jwv
08-30-2011, 09:15 PM
I have a New savage LRP repeater short action with standard bolt face and a 7mm saum CBI barrel on the way. I have the magnum bolt face, what else will I need. IE...Firing pin and extractor?

bootsmcguire
08-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Yup, firing pin, extractor and ejector parts and I think thats about it.

Skunce
08-30-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm not sure if the firing pin is different, but it would need to be adjusted to compensate for the longer locking lugs of the magnum bolt head. I have a second firing pin assembly for mine so I can easily swap bolt heads without resetting the firing pin protrusion.

jwv
08-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Is adjusting the firing pin portrusion something I could do or does a smith have to do it. Also, do you guys know where I could get the parts? Already have the bolt face.

noelfr
08-31-2011, 06:09 PM
SSS. AKA Sharp Shooter Supply. http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Skunce
08-31-2011, 11:01 PM
I bought the complete magnum bolt head and firing pin assembly from SSS. They trued up the lugs and the bolt face on the new bolt head also. You can adjust the firing pin protrusion yourself. If you do a search you'll find the info on this site on how to do it.

bootsmcguire
08-31-2011, 11:12 PM
I guess I was thinking that the SA-Magnum/WSM bolt headrequired a different dia. or length (couldn't remember) firing pin. Glad you guys were there to correct me.