PDA

View Full Version : new to reloading.

wal0001
08-30-2011, 10:55 AM
I am new to reloading and I am starting to reload for my 325 wsm . Brass is hard to find and I will have to order some. I can find 300 wsm brass and was wondering if I could run that through the resizing die and use it? Thanks.

davemuzz
08-30-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't load either one.....but the bullet diameter difference between the two is about .015. So, I would think that stretching those necks out another 15 tho. to load the fatter 8mm bullet can't help give you longer case life.

I'd buy the brass for the 325...and I'd buy quality brass. It seems to me it would have to give you many more reloads.

MHO

Dave

darkker
08-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Look in the book, I assume that the case is truly the same, other than the bullet dia...
IF that is the case, then yes; I would just resize.
Your brass may not last as long as the original correct stuff, but it wouldn't worry me personally.
I have resized my brothers 338WM brass to my 264WM and have had no issues.
Just remember: Trim the brass, full length resize, trim again.

gotcha
09-01-2011, 11:59 PM
wal0001, Like Dave, I don't load either one. Looking @ case specs in my Hornady manual the two cases are almost identical with the exception of rim thickness. The Hornady manual shows rim thickness of the 300wsm as .040"........... It shows the 325wsm as .054". The .014" difference in rim thickness could create big problems w/ ejection as your rifles (325wsm) ejector would be cut to eject the thicker rim............ This could be a "typo" in the stated case dimensions. Lord knows Hornady has a BUNCH of incorrectly stated case specs. I'd confirm the case rim thickness on both cases before proceding. If you find the 300 wsm case specs to be accurate, go with Daves advise. Let us know what you find. Inquiring minds want to know.