PDA

View Full Version : Convert stagger feed to center feed

Canche41
08-29-2011, 10:25 PM
I am new to the Savage forum and I am interested in getting a savage 110 with a stagger feed magazine. I tried to find an answer to my question on here but couldn't find anything. I didn't know if it was possible to convert the stagger feed to a DBM center feed or not. I'm not opposed to doing work to it, I just didn't know if it's possible. Thanks in advance for all the advice.

csam
08-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Why do you want to do it?

I am not sure if there are significant differences in the receiver, but it seems like if you remove the staggerfeed box from the receiver, and mount it in a centerfeed stock, it should work. I hope someone will answer that knows, as I am just guessing.

Again, why, personally I have both, and see no real advantage. My staggerfeed is a long action 300wm, and the centerfeed is a 308 win. I have never had a hint of feeding issues with either one. You do lose capacity on a centerfeed.

If I recall correctly, the centerfeed was a cost cutting measure and also to get the WSM cartridges to feed better.

geargrinder
08-29-2011, 11:32 PM
It would take about 5 minutes with a dremel. All you need to do is round out the rear of the magazine port to make room for the magazine keeper. It's very obvious if you have a centerfeed stock with the DBM already in it.

Here's a picture of a stagger action in a centerfeed DBM stock. I circled the area that need attention.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001244-1.jpg

BoilerUP
08-30-2011, 06:26 AM
CDI Precision makes 4.27" DBM bottom metal that uses AICS-pattern magazines...

Canche41
08-30-2011, 11:57 PM
The reason that I was possibly wanting to do this would be more for convenience and a possible larger magazine than anything. From doing a lot of reading it doesn't seem like it will really be worth trying to convert as there aren't really a whole lot of advantages. I just didnt know what the experts on here would say. On a side note... Go boilermakers!!!

sha-ul
08-31-2011, 12:52 AM
The reason that I was possibly wanting to do this would be more for convenience and a possible larger magazine than anything. From doing a lot of reading it doesn't seem like it will really be worth trying to convert as there aren't really a whole lot of advantages. I just didnt know what the experts on here would say. On a side note... Go boilermakers!!!

If you went with the AICS magazines as mentioned above, you can use 5&10rd dbm.

82boy
08-31-2011, 09:49 AM
The easiest and cheapest way to achieve what you looking for is buy a Acme magazine set up from SSS. There is no modifications needed to the receiver, and the Acme set up is designed to drop into a Factory Savage center feed inletted stock. You will either need have your stock inletted, or go out and buy a centerfeed stock for a Factory Savage DBM, then all that is needed to make the centerfeed stock fit is a file, and you oval out the front action screw hole.

geargrinder
08-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Hey guys, he's talking about a long action. ::)

rusty815
08-31-2011, 09:58 PM
you should give a call over to kevin over at stockade gun stocks, he makes custom bottom metals that accept AICS mags, and he might be able to make one for your long action, im not sure though so you should give him a call, hes really friendly.

sha-ul
08-31-2011, 11:54 PM
Hey guys, he's talking about a long action. ::)

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/images/flyer-front.jpg
http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/savage_110_long_action.html
your point? ;)

geargrinder
09-01-2011, 08:46 PM
your point? ;)

Because BoilerUP mentioned the 4.27" CDI and 82boy brought up the ACME kit. Both of those are reference to short action DBM's.

sha-ul
09-02-2011, 02:22 AM
thankfully they also make one for use long action users.

btw, I cannot make out what your avatar is, what is that?

csam
09-02-2011, 09:56 PM

That make sense. I hadn't thought about the aftermarket mags out there. i was thinking about losing the round compared to a staggerfeed blind mag. All I have are blind mag guns, so I guess I think only in thoe terms.

geargrinder
09-02-2011, 10:48 PM
thankfully they also make one for use long action users.

btw, I cannot make out what your avatar is, what is that?

My daughter (then 4 years old) is posing with her pink cap gun and a cow elk that we just brought back to camp.

Here's a better picture.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/IMG_0570a-1.jpg

She's now 8 and still likes to go hunting. Here's one from last weekend's antelope hunt.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/IMG_20110827_090636.jpg