PDA

View Full Version : 6BR on long action?

BoilerUP
08-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Anybody screw a 6BR barrel onto a long action?

I'm thinking about getting out of the 270 game once and for all and using that 110 action with a Score-High single shot follower.

On a related note...anybody use the factory wood stocks and open the barrel channel up for a varmint contour barrel? Does that work pretty well?

Dennis
08-29-2011, 09:30 PM
I am not saying I recommend it, but I put a 6.0x47 Lapua barrel on a long action, probably one of the most accurate guns I have!

82boy
08-29-2011, 10:16 PM
My long range match gun is a old 110 long action. I have had several barrels on it, from 243 Win, to 6x47 lapua, to the present barrel a 6mmBR. Gun shoots great. I would recamend you use a 223 baffle behind the bolt head it shortens up the bolt travel a slight bit, but you don't have to have it. I have a 22BR barrel I bought off of a old member that he had screwed on a long action and shot some very good groups. Fred at SSS took a left handed long action and turned it into a drop port, and he shoots 22BR in it. To answer your first question yes people have mounted 6mmBR barrels on long actions.

ttfreestyle
08-29-2011, 10:30 PM
i just finished my 6br on my old flatback 110 long action,criterion bbl. shoots as well as my short action 6br and i really dont notice the difference when shooting it. like them both.

GaCop
08-30-2011, 05:54 AM
I built my 6mm BR on a long action and use a single shot follower. I have no regrets.

jinx-)
08-30-2011, 08:24 AM
I did open-up channel, but its temporarily on factory synthetic stock, if it was laminate or wood it would be more permanent option for me, but heck it works great the way it is now, I just had to bedded with Kevlar.

racinready300ex
08-30-2011, 02:34 PM
My long range match gun is a old 110 long action. I have had several barrels on it, from 243 Win, to 6x47 lapua, to the present barrel a 6mmBR. Gun shoots great. I would recamend you use a 223 baffle behind the bolt head it shortens up the bolt travel a slight bit, but you don't have to have it. I have a 22BR barrel I bought off of a old member that he had screwed on a long action and shot some very good groups. Fred at SSS took a left handed long action and turned it into a drop port, and he shoots 22BR in it. To answer your first question yes people have mounted 6mmBR barrels on long actions.

A drop port savage would be bad ass.

DanSavage
08-30-2011, 07:52 PM
That's what I plan on doing, I have a factory 110 flat back long action in .243, and I plan on turning it into a 6 BR BVSS. I just got the stock and now all I need is a bull barrel for it. I plan on making it a single shot and I'll get a better recoil lug, bolt handle.

DAN

Onceinawhile
08-31-2011, 04:00 PM
I have done both. 6br on long action and opened up the barrel channel. The only problem I had with the long action 6br was that the ejector wanted to eject the case half way through opening the bolt. This caused the case to stay inside the action. Since I was using the rifle in bench rest for score I just disabled the ejector and removed the case by hand.

We, my son and I, are currently building him a 260 rem on a long action. The bedding is drying as I type. The rifle we are using started out life as a 270 with a pencil barrel and wood stock. To open up the channel I took an old stock varmint Savage barrel and wrapped a layer of 60 grit sand paper around it. Put the stock in a vise and layed the barrel in the channel and started a slow back and forth motion until I had the stock open enough for the new barrel.