PDA

View Full Version : What rifle did I hold at Dicks' Sporting goods?

teddy12b
11-07-2009, 10:40 PM
While at Dick's sporting goods today I noticed a Savage heavy barreled rifle that I have never seen before. I'm a Savage guy and follow their catalog pretty well usually and I like knowing everything they produce, but this was different!

It was a 10FCP(something else) 308 with a 22" fluted barrel, detachable magazine, and sort of a varmint/tactical looking stock. My only complaint about it was the recoil pad to stock fit. It felt like you would have to be careful with the recoil pad so you didn't just peel it off.

The price was $600 something and I was pretty impressed overall.

It just frustrates me when company's make special edition rifles like this and don't put it on their websites, because I might have already bought one of these if I'd have known it was being made.

Anyone have one? Any thoughts?

oldguy
11-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Sounds like the Law Enforcement model 10 to me,anyway you got a good rifle.

Blue Avenger
11-08-2009, 09:11 AM
It just frustrates me when company's make special edition rifles like this and don't put it on their websites, because I might have already bought one of these if I'd have known it was being made.
Any thoughts?

What if it was not a stock catalog item? What if it was a special order run from a buyer? How would they anticipate that order to put it in the catalog?

teddy12b
11-08-2009, 02:00 PM
What if it was not a stock catalog item? What if it was a special order run from a buyer? How would they anticipate that order to put it in the catalog?

If it was a special run of rifles, I'm sure they made more than just the one I saw. If they can take the time to build all these rifles I don't see why they wouldn't take the time to take a picture and list it on their website. It'd only be good business to advertise what you're making.

Had I known this was out there, it's very likely that I'd have bought one before now. Unfortunately I'd been spending all my $$ on hunting stuff lately so I had to put it back on the shelf.

I really liked that rifle and wish I could get on Savages website and read more about it, but I can't. I'm not blaiming them, because all the guns manufacturers do it, but it's a little frustrating.

hank440
11-08-2009, 03:10 PM
There is one of these at my Dick's too it's a model 10 FCP Heavy Barreel with an inexpensive scope on it for $699.00. The rifle appears to be quite nice but the scope isn't quite as nice.

Jim Watson
11-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Maybe a special run for Dick's.
A guy here bought one but I cannot find it in the Savage www catalog either.
It seems a nice rifle, quite accurate. The scope is no more than you would expect on a package deal, though.

J.Baker
11-09-2009, 02:06 AM
After running this site for the last 8-9 years, one thing I can say for certain is to never read the Savage website as the gospel. Spec's aren't always right, pic's don't always match the model being described, etc. The print catalog is usually a little better, but there can be discrepancies in it as well due to last minute changes that takes place after the catalog goes to print.

And every year there are several "non-cataloged" models that are special builds for the bigger distributors. The Mako centerfires and rimfires made for Talon, the 4x4's made for a big-box chain, the Model 12BTV's with the royal jacaranda laminate stocks made for Jerry's, the 10ML-II BP for Cabela's, etc.

rbama1718
11-09-2009, 04:01 AM
I have that rifle. I put an H-S Precision stock on it, good optics, and that thing will flat out get it done. Hand on the Bible, I shot a .27" 3 round group at 200 yards with it just yesterday, with no group being worse than .6". I haven't shot worse than a .4" group at 100 yards with it yet. I have shot several three round groups that just appear to be one hole. It is a quality rifle.

teddy12b
11-09-2009, 10:36 AM
I have that rifle. I put an H-S Precision stock on it, good optics, and that thing will flat out get it done. Hand on the Bible, I shot a .27" 3 round group at 200 yards with it just yesterday, with no group being worse than .6". I haven't shot worse than a .4" group at 100 yards with it yet. I have shot several three round groups that just appear to be one hole. It is a quality rifle.

That's even better than what I'd expect out of it. On savage heavy barreled rifles I expect 1/2 or better at 100. What you shot at 200 yards is incredible. What ammo are you using?

The scope on these at Dicks was a simmons mil-dot, or some brand like that. It's basically good enough to take it off and put it on ebay.

NEB
11-09-2009, 05:26 PM

I saw this rifle and loved the barreled action. Since they had it all locked up, I could not see the insides. Is it center feed or staggered feed?

thanks

rbama1718
11-09-2009, 08:39 PM

That's even better than what I'd expect out of it. On savage heavy barreled rifles I expect 1/2 or better at 100. What you shot at 200 yards is incredible. What ammo are you using?

The scope on these at Dicks was a simmons mil-dot, or some brand like that. It's basically good enough to take it off and put it on ebay.

I'm using 175gr M118 Lake City Sierra Match. The scope that came on mine was a Tasco. I just put it on an old Marlin 30-30.

rbama1718
11-09-2009, 08:39 PM

I saw this rifle and loved the barreled action. Since they had it all locked up, I could not see the insides. Is it center feed or staggered feed?

thanks

cf

teddy12b
11-09-2009, 10:14 PM
I didn't think the factory stock was bad at all, but something would absolutely have to be done about the recoil pad to buttstock fit. Other than that it was a comfortable stock resembling the new choate stock.

rbama1718
11-10-2009, 01:06 AM
The stock that came on mine was the standard tupperware stock Savage is known for. It had to go, but the H-S Precision stock is a good deal for $356 from Stocky's. I did shoot the gun before the upgrades, and it's a sub moa gun right out of the box, but it can be a real shooter with a little work. The only thing I have left to do is a new recoil lug, and a skim bedding job. Possibly a paint job to desert tan. We'll see about that.

rbama1718
11-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Decided to put up a picture of a 200 yard group so people won't think I'm blowing smoke.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c52/rbama1718/200yardgroup.jpg

That's a 3 shot group with 175gr Lake City Match at 200 yards with basically no wind

louthedog
11-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Decided to put up a picture of a 200 yard group so people won't think I'm blowing smoke.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c52/rbama1718/200yardgroup.jpg

That's a 3 shot group with 175gr Lake City Match at 200 yards with basically no wind

Fantastic group. Never thought you was blowing smoke. Even the guy on the dime can't keep his eyes off that group. ;D

teddy12b
02-12-2010, 02:24 PM
rbama1718,
Any updates on your rifle?

binazone
02-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I bought this very rifle (.308) about three weeks ago from Dick's for $699. I fully expect it to be as accurate as yours (I have two others and sub m.o.a. is the norm.)

I'm having a comp put on it so I can be my own spotter at the 500 yard range. Thanks for the picture of the 200 yard target.

futr_trooper
02-19-2010, 05:35 PM
how bout some pics of this rifle guys???