PDA

View Full Version : Standard to large shank?

stumpjumper400
08-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Has anyone had a standard shank action re-threaded to large shank by SSS. Can or will he do it? Results?

Steve

memilanuk
08-29-2011, 10:55 AM
I'd asked about that a short while back... basically SSS and Sin Arms don't seem to condone the idea; Jim See of Center Shot Rifles says 'No problem'.

ESSCEE
08-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Scott at savage gunsmithing has my 110 action right now converting it into an EDGE from a 7 mag he said when I get it back it will be a large shank. I can't say as to the results yet but when I get it back and put together I can post results.

geargrinder
08-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Why do you think you need it to be large shank?

stumpjumper400
08-30-2011, 06:32 AM
It's more of a want than a need. Why do you think someone would advocate against it? Is it the heat treatment?

memilanuk
08-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Thats the argument I've heard against it... but if you look at how they do the heat-treating at the factory (whole sections of the receiver are heated cherry red by induction coils) it ain't exactly a surface hardening process. The counter argument is that its not exactly un-common to cut threads 0.010" over-sized on Rem-chesters when truing the action if the gunsmith is going for an interference fit on the threads. This is going a good bit further, though.

For me the main interest in converting a small shank receiver to large shank is simple - most of the barrels I have are large shank, most of the receivers I have are large shank. Consolidating things so I have one shank size, and all of my barrels fit all the receivers is what I had in mind.

stumpjumper400
08-30-2011, 12:35 PM
I have one of the stagger feed WSM actions that has a 223 lg shank on it. I also have a 112 bvss that I would like to put a 6br on. When the 223 wears out, I'd like to put that barrel on the short action but they are different shank sizes. By re-threading the 112 then it wouldn't be a problem. Since I already have the action, It doesn't make sense to buy a target action and stock when the safe is already full. Like I said, it's a want, not necessarily a need.

Hopefully sharpshooter will chime in since I'll send it to him if'n he'll do it.

steve