PDA

View Full Version : Savage VS Marlin XL7

Pages : 1 [2]

Carvera
11-13-2009, 10:25 AM
..Anybody pull a bbl. & see what dia. the thread size is..???..Plus the pitch

...Now I'm getting crosseyed...lol..

Savage barrel and nut work just fine on that Marlin rifle.

I've seen this personally.....

1Shot
11-13-2009, 03:52 PM
... ;D.. ;D.. ;D...

Dangerous Dan
11-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Here Is a Pic Of a Marlin XL7 With a Savage Benchmark Barrel and I Thought what The Hey I Used The Savage Nut , Not Trashing Savage and Not Putting Marlin On The Top Shelf I Bought The Marlin For 279.00 at Cabales and The 200 Stevens after Shipping Dealer Cost Is 309.00 , Comparint The To Marlin wins But If Marlin Is Going To Go Head To Head With Savage The Need To Broaden There Line . I Just Like To Fool With Guns DD ;D
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii300/dds1957/IMG_1511.jpg

5spd
11-13-2009, 11:49 PM
Dan,
Well that answered my question on the Marlin. When I 1st looked at the Marlin X7 I saw it had the same type of barrel nut the Savage does and I thought "I wonder if it can be swapped like a Savage"
Thanks.

1Shot
11-14-2009, 01:33 PM
...Yup another Marlin will find it's way into the gun safe..lol.. ;)

geargrinder
11-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Now we need to get them to offer a magnum bolt head.

And left hand. ;D

MZ5
11-14-2009, 05:20 PM
I'll say this having just bought another (used bargain) Savage the other day:

The Marlin, at least in its synthetic-stock form, very obviously competes with the Stevens rather than something with the Savage name on it. Pricing shows this clearly. The only exception would be certain stuff that Savage puts together for Wal-Mart.

With that in mind:
The Marlin stock is better; stiffer than the Stevens.
The Marlin trigger is better; the 2-screw Stevens triggers aren't very good, and the metal quality is poor (just like it is in the Accu-Triggers) so it's dicey at best stoning them. Marlin's trigger is very good, and better IMO than Savage's Accu-Trigger in both feel and parts quality.
The Marlin follows Remington's thought pattern of putting barrel contact points at the forend of the stock, but it seems like few of them make equal contact; this means the Stevens is more likely to shoot consistently well.
The Marlin is less expensive than the Stevens.
The Stevens has aftermarket stock choices. The Marlin does not, but Win 70 stocks are awfully close (can probably machine a place for the recoil lug and make them work).
Both use the same barrel thread diameter and pitch, making barrel swaps equally simple.
Both are American-made.

In short, the Marlin is what the Savage was a few (several?) years ago. The best-value, best hunter/shooter on store shelves. Whether that will bring Savage down or simply catapult Marlin up remains to be seen.

GaCop
11-15-2009, 07:48 AM
How does the Marlin recoil lug compare to the Savage factory stamped one?

pa hog
11-15-2009, 09:51 AM
+1 MZ5 Well Said..