PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Mark II BSEV magazine feed issue.

eracer
08-28-2011, 01:25 PM
I searched for this, but couldn't find any topics that deal with it.

I took my new Mark II BSEV out for the first time yesterday and love it - except that the last round in the magazine failed to feed every single time. I tried six different types of ammo, and the result was the same.

It seems that the mag spring is very weak. I checked Wolfe Springs, and couldn't find a replacement.

I suspect I could put a block in the bottom of the mag to solve the problem, but I'd rather have a 5-round mag that I could reliably load 5 rounds into.

Anyone else have issues with this, or did I just get a bad mag? I googled and couldn't find anyone reporting the same issue.

BTW - it's a little troublesome that Savage Customer Support is not accepting e-mails...

groaner71
08-28-2011, 03:38 PM
I had issues with my 17hmr savage not feeding correctly. After contacting savage by phone they sent out a replacement mag at no cost which fixed my issue.

thomae
08-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Somebody else on this forum had a similar problem they solved by purchasing a second mag and cannibalizing the spring from that one so there were two parallel mag springs in the mag he used. IIRC, poster stated he didn't enjoy paying double for a working magazine, but it did solve the problem.

eracer
08-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks. I'll try to call Savage. Appreciate the replies.

Sardine
08-28-2011, 08:48 PM
I just had the same problem with my new mk2btv. Got 4 extra magazines with it and all 5 of them did what you describe. Look carefully at the two tabs or ears at the top of the clip that hold the cartridges in. You will see that they are not even. Gently tap the high ears down with a light hammer to match the low one that is also bent farther in toward the center of the magazine & all will be fine. At least it fixed all 5 of mine.

groaner71
08-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Nice to know. Sounds like a fix to me!

Sardine
10-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Here's an update at least for my mk2-btv. The first time out after making the aforementioned modifications to the magazines it worked just fine. That's when I made the post. The next time out it was back to the way it was. It wouldn't strip out the last bullet from the magazines. So, for some reason my brain started working for a moment and I put in one Federal bullet first so it would be the last one out and it works fine with the same bullet & velocity but in Federal. Unfortunatly my btv shoots a better group with the Winchesters. So, I quit messing around with the magazines and ordered two 10 round mags from Savage. This is a straight shooting rifle with a cheap 3x9 Wal Mart scope on it. Just have to load a Federal first or shoot 4 shots and quit.
Regards, Sardine.