PDA

View Full Version : Action truing mandrel

elginrunner
08-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Does any one know where a Savage Action truing mandrel can be obtained? I see that brownells doens't make them and wheeling engineering has discontinued them.

many thanks,

Brock in AR

nsaqam
08-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I can't say where to get a commercial one but any machine shop with a lathe could make one very easily.

sharpshooter
08-28-2011, 04:06 PM
If you have the capability to use one, you should have the capability to make one. ;D

elginrunner
08-28-2011, 11:28 PM
I do but it takes a while. I have to drive an hour away after working all night to do precision work on a lathe. I can only use my pal's lathe on fridays. I'd just as soon spend 35 bucks at wheeler engineering rather than spend a day making it. That is if they were still available there.....

Was hoping someone had one out there in savage land....

sharpshooter
08-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Really? it would take you all day to make it? What kind of lathe does your pal have, a treadle lathe?
Seriously tho, if you are looking for a .700"ish straight mandrel to true the receiver from , you are doing it backwards.
Make a mandrel big enough to cut barrel threads on. Make the threads long enough so the mandrel bottoms out on the lug abutments. Screw the receiver on the mandrel(while it is still in the lathe) and then cut the receiver face from the back side. This will assure that the receiver face is square with the threads.