PDA

View Full Version : New ro forum wanted to say Hi

roadkill46
08-27-2011, 11:01 AM
I see there is no welcome section for new members so i wanted to drop in and say hello. new to the forum, not to weapons or shooting. have only had one other savage in the past a 110 way back in the 80's. Now i have too many guns in the safe to count but am whittling down to 3 major rifle calibers and 4 handgun calibers. I just picked up a NIB Savage 10FP-LE-SR (have a gemtech sandstorm already on another rifle) and i plan to make some major improvements on the gun. it will be a hunter (i only hunt predators and birds, no big game, well bigger than a western mountain lion). I'm down in Yuma Arizona so anyone my way say hi.
I already have my predator systems set up so it is getting close to my self imposed season so i am not changing anything until next March but i'm going to move my Scmidt and Bender over to the new FP .308 and put my loopy MKV back on that AR for fox, cats. We really don't have many shots out here over 250 yards on dogs so the S&B is a Short Dot 1.1x4x24 and should work perfect on the .308 running 168gr Amax's. Would like to change the stock over to a B&C Medalist so i'll pick it up soon, trigger will stay as is, it is perfect for me, will use an EGW 0 MOA base since the scope is in a LaRue mount and will sit perfectly high enough w/o needing any rise. dont plan on using our 1000 yard range (which we actually do have) very much. That's about it, 21 yrs retired Army, now work at the local hospital. look forward to participating in the forum. RK out.

GaCop
08-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the forums. Sound like you have a handle on what you want to do. We like pictures here so when your done, post a few. There's a wealth of knowledge on this site and members are not stingy when you need help.

DanSavage
08-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi, and welcome RK. Congratulations on your new model 10. I think that you will really like it, I have the model 10 FP LE in .308 with accutigger but it doesn't have the brake or accustock. I started out shooting factory ammo and it seemed to shoot around 1'' to 1 1/2" at 100 yards. After about 100 to 150 rounds down the tube with a fair amount of good cleaning it became a .75" shooter. I still don't know if it was just me getting to know the rifle or if the barrel was being broken in but I was very happy when I was sub MOA with it. Then one day my local gun store got in a case of Federal Gold Medal Match ammo and I bought a box and went to the range and I took the factory Savage target that comes in the box with me. I shot a 3 shot group of .38". I went back to the gun store and bought 3 more boxes and through out the year I shot 20 woodchucks with it and hardly ever had a miss. This was last spring that I bought the rifle and since then I have got into reloading and have had great success. I have 3 different pet loads that I have developed with 3 different kinds of bullets and 2 different powders that anyone of those loads will shoot in the ,2's if I really buckle down and do my part. By the way, Thank you for your service in the Army.

Regards Dan

roadkill46
08-29-2011, 10:04 AM
thanx for the replies. i don't know if it has the accustock on it or not but it will get changed anyway. i found the duramaxx that everyone seems to rage about at Brownells for cheap so that is the way i will prolly go as it is only 2 pounds compared to the B/C or Choate varmint stocks at over 5 pounds each. I don't walk very far to stands as i use an ATV that looks like a tank with all the guns and equipment on it when going out for a weekend! did the match ammo expand at all or go straight through? seems like it would not provide too much as it is not a hunting round, although i do think they make a HP match hunting round IIRC. I like Hornady and use the ballistic tips in 55gr .223 on preds and it does a great job. does not ruin the pelt on a dog as it kinda 'blows up' inside, but it will cause major pelt damage on a thin skinned bob or fox and at this past fur sale a Nevada stretched XL cat went for $900! I did normal stretches on med/lg cats and made $1500 total on 10 cats and 12 fox. coyote fur was not being bought. but it paid for my winter of hunting so i felt good about that. i was using a .308 that i had borrowed from a friend up north and got on a 51 pound dog. scoped right behind shoulder and then he turned right when i pull the stick and i hit him in the head and about took it off. so he is a headless rug on my wall! .308 is awesome with the right round and placement. i bring a Mossy 835 with Dead Coyote choke and DC T shot 3" loads for any think skinned that come by. it prints on an 8 inch plate at 68 yards! #4 federal buck at about 45 yards.

Thanks for the replies and i will be posting questions as time goes by. RK out

frank1947
08-29-2011, 12:23 PM
welcome, thanks for your service to our Country from one Vet to another 1966 to 1970 USAF