PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Stock for a 16fcss (accustock) .223

carstenvp
11-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi all

My name is carsten and I live in Queensland Australia.
At the tender age of 39 I have finally gotten around to get myself a gun license and have bought a Savage Arms 16fcss, chambered in .223 rem. Down here I will use it to regulate Hare/Rabbit, Feral Cats and Dogs (Dingos), Fox, Kangaroo, small Goats and Pigs.

I am not so keen on the plasticy feel of the accustock and wondered if replacing it with a laminated or walnut stock would ruin the accuracy of the rifle?
It's nice and light at the moment but I guess that a woden stock would add a couple of pounds (1 kilo?).

Would I need to have the new stock modified to keep accuracy or are most stocks already ready for a simple change over?

I've had a look around and quite like the looks and prices of www.boydsgunstocks.com and www.rifle-stocks.com which ships to AUS
What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance

jpdown
11-08-2009, 03:33 PM
It is going to be tough to beat the Accustock for light weight and out of the box accuracy. The laminated and wood stocks look great, but weigh more. The Boyd's stocks look great, but don't come with pillars. You will likely need to add pillars and bed most wood/laminated stocks in order to maximize the accuracy potential of your new Savage rifle. It depends on how much accuracy you need or want for critter eradication. Another option would be to get a can of Krylon webbing spray and personalize your Accustock with some spider webbing. You won't have any trouble selling your Accustock on this site. They are a hot item not available from Savage for aftermarket sale.

carstenvp
11-09-2009, 05:31 AM
Thanks JPDOWN

That's a really good alternative, I never thought of that....