PDA

View Full Version : Changing barrels

kb7kuh
08-23-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm new to Savage and see that folks are chancing barrels! That is very interesting. I have a model 12 VLP in 22-250. What are my choices in different barrel calibers?

Also, is there a section here that explains how it's done? Sorry for the newbe questions!

Thanks,

Don

thirty06
08-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Look at the top of the page. Go to the Home page and click on the technical articles.
As far as caliber choices the skies the limit but check in the FAQ section.

Cycler
08-23-2011, 12:49 PM
As far as caliber choices the skies the limit but check in the FAQ section.
The sky is the limit as long as the overall cartridge length will fit into your short action. That pretty much limits you to the .308 Win and .284 Win based rounds and shorter. Your 22-250 bolt head will also work with the .308 and .284 families but different bolt heads will be neded for the .223 family or for short Magnums.

You could, in theory, use longer rounds but only as a single shot and for some, you will have to remove the bolt to extract a loaded cartridge.

eric_monster
08-23-2011, 09:41 PM
I have a question that falls into this thread. When re-barreling a Savage, is it necessary to replace the barrel nut and the recoil lug with the barrel or is using the original nut and lug OK?

Thanks,

Eric,

P.S. not trying to hijack the thread.

stumpjumper400
08-23-2011, 09:54 PM
It is not always required unless you mess up the nut with a bad wrench or something like that or have to cut it off. Generally no. Most people take that opportunity to change to a better, more true, thicker recoil lug.

thirty06
08-23-2011, 09:55 PM
No need to replace the nut or lug if you don't want to.
A lot of us replace the lug with a aftermarket lug because there flat and true. But it's not absolutely needed but recommended.

Slowpoke Slim
08-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Don,

Your easiest swap would be to another .473 case head cartridge. Such as 243/7-08/308/6.5x284/284/7x57/257 Roberts, etc. You could still swap it over to a .378 case head cartridge such as 17 Rem/17 Fireball/204/221/222/223, etc, but you would have to change out the bolt head to do it. Not that big a deal, but it's more involved than just swapping the barrel. You would also have to swap out the magazine if you want to feed rounds from the magazine.

It is very easy to swap a barrel on a Savage. The biggest hurdle guys have to overcome is not getting the proper tools on hand first, and trying to "make do" with less. You basically need an action wrench, a barrel nut wrench, and a GO gauge for whatever cartridge your new barrel is chambered in. If you have these tools on hand, the rest is a piece of pie.

BoilerUP
08-24-2011, 06:41 AM
I've found a shop vise with notched hardwood blocks to hold the barrel works pretty well in lieu of an action wrench....although an action wrench would probably make the process easier/faster.