PDA

View Full Version : Academy sales?

durango
08-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Does anyone know if Academy will be having another sale on the Stevens 200 in the near future? If so, when and where? Thanks, Steve

GaCop
08-23-2011, 06:43 AM
I have't seen anything to indicate another sale. I wish they would, it's nice getting a Stevens 200 for $179.

JWW123
08-23-2011, 02:26 PM
i think academy is discontuning stevens 200 i bought the only 4 i could find for 158.88 +tax had to look hard to find them such a shame good gun, good price sorry jww

LHitchcox
08-24-2011, 08:20 AM
The clerks have no idea what may be coming unless the computer says something is on the way. I have been checking for several months. Every time I walked into the store, I would ask the guys at the gun counter if there were any more on the way. They would check the computer and come up blank. They were able to check other store's inventory and a few stores had a couple (as of one month ago). My thoughts are that Academy had a special run produced for grand opening sales and they are out and probably will be no more.

Varget 7-08
08-25-2011, 10:09 PM
A few months after Academy had the first run of Stevens for $180, I asked an associate if they would have any more, he confidently responded that it was a one time thing. Literally a week and a half after I first asked, they had them back on sale. Though friendly, they seem not to know what's coming down the pipe. One associate told me that a few other stores still have some. Not sure if it's true, but worth a few calls.

psharon97
08-25-2011, 11:04 PM
having worked and still working in retail, I wouldn't be too hard on the associates. No one tells them when/if something will be on sale-much less if something is coming in.

BoilerUP
08-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Worst part about Academy sales?

They won't sell to you if you don't live in the state the store is in, or a state immediately bordering it.

I was ready to buy 2-3 when I was in Lafayette, LA on business last fall but they saw my Indiana drivers license and said "nyet".

JCalhoun
08-26-2011, 10:26 AM
I believe that is an ATF rule.

r29l20
08-26-2011, 11:35 AM
I believe that is an ATF rule.
+1

BoilerUP
08-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Its been a few years, but my father, a KY resident, has purchased long guns from gun shops in South Carolina while on vacation, complete with Form 4473s.

The guy at Academy told me it was a store policy; would only sell to non-residents if holding a military ID with orders.

I'd be really curious if somebody has a link to an ATF regulation or document restricting long gun purchases by out-of-state residents...

JCalhoun
08-26-2011, 01:11 PM
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-15.pdf

Most states will allow an FFL to sell to a resident of a bordering state. When I bought a .22LR in Ohio I had to have it transferred.

rinodods
08-27-2011, 04:30 AM
Not an ATF rule but most states restrict sales to only bordering states. I know this was recently changed in MO and should go into effect in OCT sometime.

ATF says:

"You may make an over-the-counter sale of a rifle or shotgun to a non-resident if the transaction complies with all the laws of your State and the laws of the buyer’s State."

Stores do what they want though. Just because they can doesn't mean they will. I once had a buddy stationed with me on active duty in Colorado but he was from Puerto Rico. Sportsmans Warehouse refused to sell him a rifle because he was from PR despite the ATF saying he qualified as a Colorado resident because he was assigned there and could provide orders to prove it. Talked to every manager up the chain all the way to their corporate headquarts guys and the would not approve the sale. Sucks but they can do what they want.