PDA

View Full Version : how long of barrel do i install

quickkillaught6
08-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Ok guys heres the question: i have a 30-06 light barrel = (not fun to shoot) after my fillings quit loosening up. I have decided to rebarrel this ol jewl. From the research i have come up with is that if i go with a full heavy barrel contour it comes in a 28" stick. I am wanting to use the gun to hunt with from the stand point of how much is too much or not enough what is a good barrel length for a 06 cartridge to achieve shots out to 1k without carrying around a tank. I understand the gun is going to be heavy with a bc or choate stock at 6lbs that doesnt bother me im thinking more in the tacticool train of thought hunting gun yotes mostly i carry my rifles barrel down in most cases because thats were the weights at it hangs better. is a 21" barrel enough? 18? any input would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

oosickness
08-22-2011, 10:32 PM
i just ordered a 24 inch #4 contour barrel from Pac Nor and I did a lot of research on barrel length and the ol 06 cartridge. And from what I read here and there that you want no less than a 24 inch for that particular combo, but then again that is all hearsay as a lot of factory guns come in 22 inch and so on and so forth. I will tell you the length and the contour of my barrel end up weighing about 3.7 lbs from there online calculator. I can verify that once I get the barrel (they just billed me so it should be here soon) ;D

bootsmcguire
08-22-2011, 10:52 PM
I removed my light 06 barrel and put on a 22" SS barrel off of a 116 in Magnum contour. Just got it back from being threaded for a break just to knock off some more recoil. I will say that going to the Mag contour alone was a lot better than the sporter barrel.

airaddict
08-22-2011, 11:34 PM
i too had a mag contour in 308 at 22" and it felt a lot better than the factory spagetti tube...it was fluted to so it helped reduce the weight a little.

brian

rinodods
08-23-2011, 03:24 AM
You shooting paper at 1000 or planning on taking shots at game? If game I'd take a long hard look at what your chosen bullet requires to perform as well as how much energy you expect to retain out there. A lot of them will be designed to perform best in the 1800fps to 2000fps range. Not saying it is impossible. If you plan on taking game that far you better plan on needing all the velocity you can get out of that thing and go long on barrel as well. 26" to 28" would be the min leaning towards the 28" but your ballistics are going be the biggest factor in all this. Even 75fps at those ranges can mean the difference in 10" of drop. I know it stinks to have a big heavy barrel sometimes for overall function but there are times you just can't get around it.

Hammer
08-23-2011, 06:00 AM

30+ inch barrels can be had for not too much extra cash.

quickkillaught6
08-23-2011, 06:59 PM
ah yes hammer you only shoot guns with 38" barrels that are 3" in diam. . lol I dont have a problem hefting my heavy barrel savage 12 around the woods in a choate varmint stock which is 6lbs its self with hunting lights, back pack and 50 layers of clothes. I appreciate the input from you guys because you've all been there at some point in time or another. I dont mind a 28" barrel at all. a shorter barrel is easier to hunt with but i can manage the longer stick just fine. Rino i am trying to build a rifle to do both, if it will print groups at 1000 yards (i know i will need practice) but its something im very interested in, but i also want it to shoot coyotes with, its my first high power i bought and i enjoy it. although I have only shot out to 700 yards consistently so far id like to get to the 1k yard mark. I will go with a 28" barrel then and get it fluted i will be ordering soon so i appreciate all the input fellas any updates or anything else is greatly appreciated too..