PDA

View Full Version : Problems with new B&C stock

51Bravo
08-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Just got a new B&C and there seams to be a couple problems with it. For one, the tang wont go down into the stock all the way. Two, as many other people have said the barrel will rub on one side. Can anybody tell me how they fixed theirs? I'm going to bed it but im not sure how to fix the tang problem.

Wood

dcloco
08-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Dremel material in the tang area to let it float. This might help out the barrel alignment problem. If not, might have to send the stock back.

I have had some success in wrapping 3-4 layers of tape around the barrel and let the barrel contact the forend. Bolt in the stock a couple days and see if the stock will "learn" it's new place.

51Bravo
08-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Already started whittling on it. will just bed it to where I want it. Not sure how it will turn out but I'm going to give it hell.

Wood

chemist1
08-21-2011, 11:29 PM
What type of B & C stock? I found that the problem with my B&C (medalist) was not a problem with the stock itself but instead with the recoil lug on my rifle. My lug was not warped but when I pulled it off I found that there was something stuck in the void for the pin on the recoil lug. when I removed this the barrel was centered in the barrel channel. If it is not problem with the recoil lug then you could try to remove material from the tang area to free float it or you could sand out the barrel channel to free float the barrel.

rinodods
08-22-2011, 03:03 AM
I've never had a duramax or medalist that fit right around the tang. Always had to remove material. Of course the medalist has always lined up right down the barrel channel. For the durmax it has always been a matter of bedding to get everything in line.

BoilerUP
08-22-2011, 08:36 AM
I've got two A2 Medalists, one on a 10FP and another on a 12FV.

Neither's tang is completely free-floating, but the 12FV shoots sub-half MOA with the factory contour 223 varmint barrel VERY free-floated, so I'm kinda in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

The 10FP, on the other hand, has a 26" Criterion varmint contour and the barrel won't free float; there is just a little contact on the bottom of the barrel channel right at the end of the stock. So its off to Lowe's for a dowel rod to sand the barrel channel down a wee bit.

For the $200 I paid for it new, I really can't complain too much about a little massaging.

fastbs
08-22-2011, 03:32 PM
used a deep well socket with sand paper wrapped around it to free float the tang on mine.
The barrel does not center perfectly but i can slide a couple index cards all the way under the barrel to the recoil lug and SSS recoil lug fit just fine.

Every time i order a B&C stock i go with the cheapest color option they have cause i know it's gonna get carved on it a little and have to repaint.

51Bravo
08-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Every time i order a B&C stock i go with the cheapest color option they have cause i know it's gonna get carved on it a little and have to repaint.

That was my thinking.

Wood

randfal
08-24-2011, 11:58 AM
I've had two medalist tactical stock the the barrels wouldn't consistently line up with the barrel channel. Every time you fiddle with the action screws it could Line up somewhere else. Looking at the bedding block showed it barely made any contact except at the very bottom. The action could rock/cant around in the block. I skim bedded the action in place and they have been great since. Repeatable and accurate.

jpdown
08-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Make sure the rear of the trigger is not contacting inside the stock just above the rear trigger guard screw. I have run into this problem with B&C stocks. It will cause two problems. Tang will not drop into the correct position and it will lock up the Accutrigger by tripping the sear when you tighten down the action screws.

randfal
08-26-2011, 01:04 PM
+1 on JPdown. Watch that trigger.

Skunce
08-26-2011, 07:55 PM
I also had problems with the accutrigger touching just like JPdown said.

dcloco
08-26-2011, 09:28 PM
The socket idea works rather well.

Another couple of items in my warchest on stocks....a couple 3 foot wooden dowels. Cut a slot down the center, slip the edge of a 1/4 sheet of sandpaper of your favorite grit, and sand away. Makes everything....just the right size for bedding.

51Bravo
09-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm tired of carving on this stock. I'm having to take so much out of the side of the receiver area that its going to be noticeably thinner on one side than the other. Guess I will spend the money on a HS.

Wood

nsaqam
09-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Spend the money on a McMillan and then you'll have something.

Mbarnes72
09-12-2011, 03:17 PM
AH great, I found this post just a day after getting my Duramaxx that is way offcenter. At this point the fit is worse than the early 90's plastic I took off. The oldest plastic was at least as stiff as this thing at half the weight and the channel was straight. It is better than the tupperware with the grip medallion but I am not sure by how much yet.

51Bravo
09-16-2011, 12:30 AM
I was thinking about going with a stockade. Not really wanting to wrap a bunch of money in this gun.What do the McMillans usually run?

Wood

nuclabuyer
09-29-2011, 01:40 PM
You can get them for about $430 on 24hourcampfire plus any options you want in whatever color you want, but you have to get in line and that is about a 3-5 month wait

moneymaker
01-19-2012, 09:17 AM
well i just ordered one and its all i can afford,i know there used to be a post on which way to sand to get the stock to center up better,just cant find it.

moneymaker
01-20-2012, 01:43 PM
hello?????? Does anyone know where this discussion is located or is it in the pay forum only?