PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Darn, I'm impressed with these rimfire rifles

p3cwst
11-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I've seen several of these MK II's show up at the range. VERY good accuracy with all of them. From what I've seen, the CZ's and Anchutz aren't doing much better if at all. These MKII's are so impressive, I'm considering buying a MKII. I've never had anything in 17 cal. To be upfront, I've avoided the 17's due to bore cleaning problems, i.e. whippy cleaning rods, small jags, patches, etc. Am I missing something?

I'm up for suggestions - a MKII in 17HMR or 22LR? Any advantage in accuracy with the 17HMR or 22LR? Stainless steel or blued?

Thanks - all suggestions appreciated.

shelbyfan
11-07-2009, 01:52 AM
One at a time.

Savage compared to CZ or Anschutz. When it comes to accuracy it is like comparing time slips in drag racing. 1/2 second may not seem like much but in a drag race it is a MILE wide gap. The same goes for shooting groups. While .02 is a tiny little gap, in comp it is a mile wide when it comes to winning and losing. Plinking, hunting, and other types on non competition that small of a size means nothing at all. Anschutz wins that one all the way, but accuracy is not everything. The absolute quality of the Anschutz over the Savage in all parts is a night and day difference. When comparing the Savage to the CZ, I believe the Savage has it over the CZ in accuracy, going by a lot of different groups I have seen from both corners. CZ's seem to rule the lower class competition, as does the 10/22, but it seems like there are 10 times as many that enter. The overall quality of the CZ compared to the Savage is far greater, even with the Savage classic. Savage built theirs with a solid design and budget in mind, fit and finish comes later.

Cleaning problems. Yes, you are missing something. There is no problem whatsoever cleaning the 17's, whether it is a .177 pellet, a 17HMR or a 17 fireball, it is no different than cleaning a 50 BMG, just the parts are smaller, and no one cleans the 17 rimmies anyway, why make them shoot bad, they love the dirty barrels.

Accuracy, 22 vs. 17. I don't think that in it's sweet spot there is a more accurate round than the 22, no centerfire, no rimfire, however, that sweet spot is maxed out at 75 yards. Granted your rifle is a quality rifle and your ammo is quality. However, comparing the 22LR and the 17 HMR is like comparing a Dodge Dart and a Suzuki GSXR 1000. One is cheap, absolutely reliable and can be fun to drive, but it ain't fast, and it ain't gonna be a Superbike. The 17 is a super fast, for a rimfire, magnum caliber, lightweight, and very efficient at what it does, that is exploding whenever it comes in contact with anything going full speed. And it has a lot farther accurate trajectory, well past 150 yards in good accuracy. But that is only useful for hunting, nothing keeps me from shooting towards the 1,000 yard gong.

Blued vs Stainless. Blued takes more maintenance, especially on the Savage rimfires, it just plain sucks, but other than that it is preference.

CobraKiller
11-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Just sold my 17 HMR because I was tired of paying twice so much for .17 ammo as I could pay for match grade 22lr. Plus there are several guys here that are getting great groups at 200 yards with mark II 22lr. I plan to find out if I'm one of them.

p3cwst
11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks Shelby & Cobra,
I've never been able to consider an Anschutz, though they are quite a beautiful & a precision piece of equipment. I could afford it but there are things I could more appropriately spend that $2K on.
If that day comes here, and I believe soon, it'll be a 22LR heavy barrel Savage MKII in stainless with the laminated stock and a good Leupold AO scope. Until that time, I'll keep playing with my old Marlin 39A with the Weaver K4 scope and standard velocity ammo.

shelbyfan
11-13-2009, 10:41 PM
$2,000????? Try $600-$900. I am not talking about the 54 action, I am talking the 64 sporters. Not as good as the 54's but a huge step up in quality from the rest.

http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=145993032

p3cwst
11-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Shelby,
I'm sure if I were to ever buy an Anschutz, it would be a Model 54. The $2K version from Champions Choice really appeals to me but the price well you know.