PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a 110E 30.06

au01st
08-21-2011, 12:29 AM
So I had a revolver that I had $200 tied up in. Traded that for shotgun earlier this spring. This weekend I traded that shotgun for this rifle to mess around with. I haven't shot it yet, but there are a few things I have questions on. First question, did I do alright? $200 for a working rifle that will hopefully take plenty of white tails this winter seems fair to me, and I'm happy with the trade, but just wondering what yall think. This is my first Savage centerfire. Second question, were factory stocks Ram-Line? My .22 has the Savage logo on it, not this rifle. I was thinking of getting a Ram-Line in Realtree or Mossy Oak just for fun, and if it already has an aftermarket stock, maybe I can help finance the new stock. Third question, where can I pick up a set of iron sights? I wouldn't bother if the holes weren't already there, but I'd like to have them to cover the eye sores. Any aftermarket sights?

Planning on being a full paid member soon enough, but for now, here's some pics.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w257/au01st/Guns/DSC00032.jpg

EGW rail is already on the way since I didn't have extended rings and none of my scopes are long enough. I'm thinking 1.5-6x42 will be plenty for all the shots I'd take up to 150yds here in the Alabama woods.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w257/au01st/Guns/DSC00036.jpg

Rear sight holes
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w257/au01st/Guns/DSC00035.jpg

Front sight hole
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w257/au01st/Guns/DSC00034.jpg

rjtfroggy
08-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Welcome to the forum.
As for the trade you did pretty good imo.
Save some cash and camo the stock you have, buy the camo paint from the hardware store and make up a pattern and spray away. I think it is Krylon that makes the colors you would want.
On the sights either the factory or Numrich gun parts.

rusty815
08-21-2011, 07:42 AM
i personally think you got a great deal, a custom stock would really help, but its not necessary, the good thing about savage rifles is that with a good scope, they perform just about as good as any factory rifle out there.

pdog06
08-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Looks like you got a great deal to me. And if it fills your needs better than the pistol or shotgun then it makes it even sweeter.

As for the stock, a Ramline is not a factory stock. Someone has swapped out somewhere down the line. Yours probably cam factory with the really plain wood stock.

About the sights, I wouldnt worry about the open sights if youre gonna put a scope on it anyway. They make screw plugs, like the ones you have in there, that are black/blued in color and will match your barrel color alot closer. They also make them in different lengths so that they wont stick up out of the barrel like yours do. I'm pretty sure you can buy them from MidwayUSA, or just about any decent gunsmith will have them lying around.

Welcome to the forum, and hope you enjoy your new-old Savage...

LHitchcox
08-21-2011, 08:49 AM
A Ramline stock is hollow and really noisy like an echo chamber. Check Ebay for a Burris FFII 2-7x35 for $128 on closeout.

au01st
08-21-2011, 10:55 AM
A Ramline stock is hollow and really noisy like an echo chamber. Check Ebay for a Burris FFII 2-7x35 for $128 on closeout.

I do like the looks of that scope. And they have it in a camo pattern that would match the stock I want. I know I could DIY camo on my own stock, but I don't mind splurging since I saved enough on the gun.

Now that I've been reading so much on this series, I realize I did pretty good. Usually when I make a trade I end up with something that no one makes accessories for and I'm left scratching my head when I hit a problem (like the shotgun I traded, lol). I think I'll hang on to this stock and see if my brother wants it.

ellobo
08-22-2011, 12:17 AM
I have hunted woodlands all my life and I find that a fixed power 4x works great and fixed power scopes are much more rugged than variables. If your thinking of a new stock and like wood, goo to Boyds website and look at the new "Prairie Hunter model that can be had in laminte pr walnut. Very nice stocks. Under $100 and you can have it checkerd for an extra $44 now as a special deal, usualy $50. Your rifle has the flat back reciever so you will need to have a scope base that will fit it. Ay stock you get make sure your barrel and tang are free floated. Your rifle is a staggered feed magazine, if you order a Boyds stock make sure you specify that. Look over the website to see what you need to tell them about your rifle.

El Lobo

au01st
08-22-2011, 12:32 AM
I have hunted woodlands all my life and I find that a fixed power 4x works great and fixed power scopes are much more rugged than variables. If your thinking of a new stock and like wood, goo to Boyds website and look at the new "Prairie Hunter model that can be had in laminte pr walnut. Very nice stocks. Under $100 and you can have it checkerd for an extra $44 now as a special deal, usualy $50. Your rifle has the flat back reciever so you will need to have a scope base that will fit it. Ay stock you get make sure your barrel and tang are free floated. Your rifle is a staggered feed magazine, if you order a Boyds stock make sure you specify that. Look over the website to see what you need to tell them about your rifle.

El Lobo

That was all very helpful. I have been looking at stocks and can't decide; actually, I did decide...I need more 110's.

I did make sure the EGW rail I ordered was for the flat back. I double and triple checked. Do the rails come with new screws? The guy who put the scope mounts on the gun stripped out the allen heads and I had to break out my extractor kit to get them out.

First thing before I change the stock is I'm gonna get the sights on, rail mounted, and put on the scope I have. I'll see how it shoots and if I like it, I will have to leave well enough alone and pick up another rifle for tinkering. Previous owner said he has 20+ deer on this gun so it can't be that bad.

r29l20
08-22-2011, 04:44 AM
Yes, they come with new screws. :)

au01st
08-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Alright, got to shoot this thing earlier in the week, pretty much just checking function and safety since I was shooting without sights. Everything works fine, which is always a plus when buying a used gun.

My rail came in today and is a perfect fit.

And I think I found a gunsmith about 30min away who can Duracoat the barrel for me and may have sights. I think I'm going to just go blackout with this rifle and leave the black stock.

Thanks to everyone for the help, I'll be sure to post some pics when it's all decked out and ready to go!

Samdweezel05
08-26-2011, 08:09 PM
If your going to have the barrel coated, I would fill the screw holes in with some metal epoxy and smooth them to blend in. You will never know they were there.

au01st
08-26-2011, 10:21 PM
If your going to have the barrel coated, I would fill the screw holes in with some metal epoxy and smooth them to blend in. You will never know they were there.

Now that is an idea! I will ask on that when I meet the gunsmith. He came very highly recommended from multiple sources.