PDA

View Full Version : is the only way to stop slamfires in savages is to make the trigger crappy?

Ring31
08-18-2011, 05:05 PM
every accu trigger i have looked at will slam fire if u drop the bolt hard or fast.. i have a stevens action with RB trigger and if you adjust the sear to remove the creep, it will slam fire as all the accu's will...

M.O.A.
08-18-2011, 05:19 PM
um no i have never seen any accue triggers slamfire ???

davemuzz
08-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Ring.....what are you doin??....welding the firing pin out and smaking the back of the bolt with a ball-peen hammer? I've put thousands of rounds thru my Stevens and Savage's and have never had a slam fire. And I don't wear Tu-Tu's.

noelfr
08-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Are you actually getting ignition or do you mean that you get a drop to the accutrigger failsafe sear? I have my trigger set light but have never had an round cook off. Have had a drop to the failsafe if my closing gets a little too rough. Since I only shoot off a bench it's no big deal I simply recock and shoot that wounded paper again.

rusty815
08-18-2011, 06:07 PM
maybe you should tighten the accu-triger, its supposed to be adjustable...

thomae
08-18-2011, 06:38 PM
+1 to noelfr. Just tried really slamming the bolt down with my 10FCM. I see what you mean, but it is not a "slamfire." Perhaps you think it is a slamfire because you can't pull the trigger, but what has happened is not a slamfire because the firing pin has not released.

Why are you slamming the bolt down so hard?

Just wondering.

82boy
08-18-2011, 06:51 PM
My SSS competition trigger has been pulled a few thousand times, and it has never once slamfired. It breaks at 8oz. Fred use to do a demonstration with his trigger you could set it at it lowest setting, drop the gun on the but stock, and the safety would slide back, when you took the safety off the gun was still cocked, and ready to fire, and this was at the triggers lowest setting.

pdog06
08-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Your accutrigger is doing what it is designed to do(as long as it is not actually firing, and just tripping the sear and allowing the safety blade to stop it from actually firing).

It could be telling you that you are doing something incorrectly. Either setting the pull weight too light, pushing the trigger sideways as you are pulling the blade back(very common), not having the blade all the way in before your finger pulls the actual trigger back(also very common), or being very rough with the rifle.

All of this stuff is fixable by just getting used to the trigger. I find you have to put it more toward your fingertip(which i do anyways, but some dont). If you have always been used to shooting those 6-7 pound factory Remington triggers you almost have to change the style of your trigger pull. It is NOT a "grip it and rip it" type of trigger.

For yours with a RB trigger, it sounds to me like you are trying to get the "nth degree +" of lightness out of the pull weight. Also if the threads are too clean it could come loose under extended recoil, but you can reset it and use medium strength locktite to cure that( I have a SSS trigger and a RB trigger(both that i bought new) that does this if I dont use it). Sometimes the will be finicky when you do that and sometimes they are easy to set, but that is not just with a Savage. Hey, after all it is Remington that has multiple lawsuits against them about the trigger problems isnt it?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/manufacturing/2010-10-20-remington-700-trigger-cnbc_N.htm

r29l20
08-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Bottom line if you have a light trigger, there is a bit more respect and caution when cycling the bolt.

Eric in NC
08-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Agree with others - you have something set up wrong or are expecting WAY too much from a factory trigger.

Will add that you really can't have a "slam fire" in a bolt gun - occurs in semi/full auto when it fires out of battery due to a free floating/stuck firing pin, high primers, or overly sensitive primers.

Ring31
08-18-2011, 10:09 PM
on my LRPV and my buddys 223AI, that have accu's it drops to the accutrigger failsafe sear... it can happen any time you cycle the bolt fast... this is annoying since we varmit hunt and if shooting fast, it can happen and blow a kill

i just built a 260 with the RB SAV1 trigger
http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=181

this has no safety like the accu if it slam fires on the bolt close it fires... i tested it by putting a primed brass in and dropping the bolt handle hard, it fired..

for it not to do it, i would need increase the sear engagement to the point the trigger would be creepy as hell

M.O.A.
08-18-2011, 10:30 PM
i think your going under the recommended weight of the trigger and being way to hard on the bolt. you can work a bolt fast and not be hard on it

noelfr
08-18-2011, 10:45 PM
I've gotten to the point where I really consider the accutrigger as a two stage trigger w/ an extremely light second stage. I guess I've gotten so used to it that it just doesn't seem to be a problem and other triggers just seem weird. My early problems essentially revolved around pressing the trigger to the side as i pulled and "slamming" (a relative term) the bolt. If I slam the bolt the accutrigger tells me immediately (no movement) and I recycle the bolt without really thinking. My shooting buddy tells me it is just a really quick motion w/o moving the point of aim. Repetition, repetition, repetition.

lal357
08-19-2011, 05:52 AM
i had my lrpv set to light and would do the same thing i just adjusted it up until it went away nows its set @ 10 oz.

BoilerUP
08-19-2011, 07:46 AM
I've got three accutrigger Savages and two without, and cycled the bolts hundreds if not thousands of times, and never come remotely close to seeing the above.

In fact, I've never had the Accutrigger drop to its safety sear before; with a proper trigger pull I wouldn't think it to be an issue.

You can cycle a bolt quickly without slamming the damn thing closed...

jsthntn247
08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
on my LRPV and my buddys 223AI, that have accu's it drops to the accutrigger failsafe sear... it can happen any time you cycle the bolt fast... this is annoying since we varmit hunt and if shooting fast, it can happen and blow a kill

i just built a 260 with the RB SAV1 trigger
http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=181

this has no safety like the accu if it slam fires on the bolt close it fires... i tested it by putting a primed brass in and dropping the bolt handle hard, it fired..

for it not to do it, i would need increase the sear engagement to the point the trigger would be creepy as ****

On your sav-1 trigger, you need to play with the trigger a little to get it right. Don't adjust your sear engagement until last. Mine did the same thing yours is doing until I played with it enough and got it right. The problem is not with the sear screw, it is becasue you have your trigger pull set too light. I worked with mine for about 30 minutes and got it to break cleanly at 2lbs with no creep and overtravel. I thought I had it set right at first but it was slam fireing about 50% of the time. I then loosened the sear engagement screw out all the way and tightened the pull weight screw in about 2 more turns. I then adjusted the sear screw and took out all the creep and it was set. It has not slamm fired since, I can't get it too even when I tried.

bigedp51
08-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Ring.....what are you doin??....welding the firing pin out and smaking the back of the bolt with a ball-peen hammer? I've put thousands of rounds thru my Stevens and Savage's and have never had a slam fire. And I don't wear Tu-Tu's.

You "might" not wear a Tu-Tu's but rumor has it your wife sprinkles saltpeter on your Corn Flakes every morning.

Besides, all my Enfield rifles have a Hare trigger. ::) (and the Tu-Tu is still in question) ;D

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/haretrigger.jpg

davemuzz
08-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Biged......I searched my pic's and don't have a good one to come back at you with your Enfield\bunny pic. And.....my mind is in it's usual state of BLANK right now...so I'm even at a loss for words.

But fear not!!!....I'll scour the internet and plagiarize some other post to get back at you!!! Never let it be said that "BigEd" has one up on me!!

Besides....that's not a hair-trigger......it's a Bunny trigger at best. Soft 'n squishy....and squeals like crazy when you try to pull it!! Plus...you have to lube it with milk.....Yeah...a "Real Man's" rifle!!! :-\

dwa
08-20-2011, 08:45 PM
i have shot problably 500 rounds out of this 25-06 i have after lightening up the trigger to 2- 1/2#s. and just the other day i closed the bolt and it fired and sent a round down range. I ordered a new trigger and wont shoot it until then.