PDA

View Full Version : Pillar bedding results

olddav
08-17-2011, 10:31 PM
I have a Savage 110 (30.06) that I recently pillar bedded. After assembleing the rifle off the range I went. I set up my target at 100 yds and begain shooting. The first group (3 shots) measured 3 1/2", the second 2 11/16" and the thrid measured 1 13/16". The final group of the day was 1 3/8". Weeks later I made another trip to the range, and again sent 3 rounds down range, this time the group measured 7/8". Is this typical? Has anyone else seen this progression for large to smaller groups?

I've had this rifle for a few years now and have never seen this before

Nor Cal Mikie
08-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Could be that the difference wasn't related to pillar bedding job. Might be that the barrel is just getting broken in? Most factory barrels will shoot better after they get coated from firing more rounds. Now try a 5 shot group and see how they come out. ;)

olddav
08-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Its a fairly old gun, I've had it for over 6 years.
Before I attempted to bed the action the rifle would shoot 1 1/4" groups.

M.O.A.
08-18-2011, 11:03 PM
you might not have had the action in the bed quite right go back and see if the action screws are tight

olddav
08-19-2011, 12:35 AM
everything is tight, but I'm wondering if I have been clear. The groups are not opening up, they are shirking. With every group I shoot (3shots) the group gets smaller. Not that that's a problem but it does seem to me to be a bit odd, that is given my limited experience.

bootsmcguire
08-19-2011, 01:40 AM
If the groups are going to P.O.A., and the group size is shrinking, if it were me I don't know that I would be "looking a gift horse in the mouth." ;D ;D ;D ;D

M.O.A.
08-19-2011, 02:16 PM
well you know what they say about old motors they run the best when there about to giveout :-\

bootsmcguire
08-19-2011, 07:19 PM
well you know what they say about old motors they run the best when there about to giveout :-\

I hope thats not the case, I have a '90 Chevy Sport with a 350 and 5-speed with a 150k on it and it runs like a scalded rabbit. ;)

Olddav, I am not sure of how much time you have spent with this exact rifle, but is it just possible you are getting more used to it? I had similar results with my 12FV 308 when I first got it. Not that extreme, I started at about 1.5" and shrunk to .5" and below. It still hold .5" and less and this is the only Savage I own that's un-modified, and was my first accu-trigger. I just chalked it up to learning the gun/trigger.

I dunno, just spit balling here.....

olddav
08-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the responses. It seems that there could be some truth in all the responses. I'm not unhappy with the gun or the results I'm getting, I just not sure If what I am seeing is normal.

bootsmcguire
08-19-2011, 11:13 PM
I would say it is not normal, or hasn't been with any of mine.
How often do you clean your barrel? Many savages shoot better when they are dirty. If you scrubbed out your barrel when you did the pillars then it may have taken it a bit to get dirty and find its groove again. A couple of mine are that way but not to the extremes your were getting.

Is it safe to say that the barrel is well broken in? If the barrel has fewer than 150 or so rounds on it it may just be finally breaking in.

What were your groups like before you did the pillars?

borg
08-20-2011, 02:13 AM
I like the clean barrel theory. Did you clean it prior to bedding?

olddav
08-20-2011, 09:35 AM
The only cleaning that I performed on the barrel was to swab it with it with a lightly oiled rag. I swab the barrel after each shooting secession and before I pillar bedded the rifle it shot 1 1/4" groups.

bootsmcguire
08-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Man, this is a real head scratcher....

borg
08-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Post-bedding jitters?

TonyBen
09-02-2011, 09:11 AM
While this might not be typical with bolt guns, other rifle platforms do well with "settleing shots" after bing bedded or after being reinstalled in their permanent stock.

I like the fouled barrel theory as well.

A 6 year old gun is not that old unless it was a "new to you" gun.

olddav
01-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Sorry to bring up an old post but I thought that I would show the results of my lastest trip to the range.
Since my last reply the rear action screw loosened up a bit and as a result the groups open up as well.
When I discoved the loose screw, I tracked down a torque wrench and retightened both action screws. Alternating from back to front in 10" pound increments, stoping at 50" pounds. Took it to the range and it shot a 3 shot group that measured 3/8 center to center. Pay not attention to that one flyer.
Man I love this gun.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/olddav/scan0001.jpg

ellobo
01-25-2012, 02:22 AM
I would wipe the oil from the bore before I shot it.

El Lobo

barrel-nut
01-25-2012, 03:14 AM
I'd just keep on shooting....