PDA

View Full Version : 7 MM Rem. mag AI

M.O.A.
08-17-2011, 03:19 AM
just wondering if this has been done or if it can be done or is it worth doing ??? ??? i know the 280 is one of the most to benefit for improving but what about the 7 rem mag it should gain abit too in my mind anyways ;D ;D

any info would be great.

GaCop
08-17-2011, 07:31 AM
I'd be interested in hearing if someone has AI'd a 7mm Mag as I've been toying with that idea too. It would definitely be a 1k+ cartridge.

375Win
08-17-2011, 10:04 AM
What would be you goals in AI'ing the 7mm Rem Mag? Just adding 15 degrees to the shoulder will give little improvement to velocity, and the body is just about as straight as you can go. For a hunting gun the 7mm STW and 7MM Weatherby will give you mote UMPH than the 7mm Rem Mag, no fireforming and over the counter loaded ammo availibility. For punching paper and shooting steel I look into one of the short mags just a better designe than the old belted case.

375Win

nsaqam
08-17-2011, 06:12 PM
The 7mm Mashburn Super Magnum (7MSM) is larger and faster than the 7RM and the 7Wby but unlike the 7STW it will fit in a standard mag box..

It is basically the 300WM case necked down and the shoulder pushed back to form a longer neck.

The problem with the 7RM is that it's been saddled with a ridiculous 61,000 Psi MAP by SAAMI due to unexplained pressure spikes occurring occasionally.

It is the only modern belted magnum with such a low MAP and due to this I can reach 7RM velocities with my much smaller 280AI which operates with a 65K Psi MAP.

If you want info on the 7MSM there are a number of very knowledgeable people over on 24hourcampfire who use the 7MSM extensively.

Finally, I've owned a couple of the WSM's (7WSM and 270WSM) and I found them to be mostly advertising hype with too many drawbacks for me to want to deal with.