PDA

View Full Version : need help customizing my savage 16 FLHSS 300WSM

Pages : [1] 2

rusty815
08-17-2011, 02:29 AM
hi everyone, i just recently bought a savage 16 lefty rifle, i have been using a right handed ruger 270 winchester for about 10 years and i just got tired of having to take the rifle down everytime i wanted to load a new bullet.

there are a few things id like to add to the savage, not that it already isnt a great rifle (i wouldnt buy anything that wasnt great quality)

1. id like to add a bipod, dont need anything expensive like a harris, just something that works, i already have a few in mind but would like to get some suggestions from other savage owners :)

2. this is probably the biggest customization i had in mind, but i was wondering if i could modify the flhss to be an flcss, that is, that i can make it from a hinge door bullet extractor to a box magazine rifle.

also would like to hear some of your experiences with savage model 16's and 116's , i would like to know what im in for :)

i also want to know what accessories would be great to add to the rifle, i already have an extra bushnell and weatherby scope to put on it, but anything cool add-ons that i could add to the rifle would be great.

rinodods
08-17-2011, 02:44 AM
Look at the caldwell XLA bipods is you don't want to spring for a harris. They might not be as well built as the harris but you can get them with the pivot just like the harris.

rusty815
08-17-2011, 02:50 AM
thanks rinodods for the suggestion, the caldwell bipods look very good, ill definitely keep those in mind when i purchase a bipod, any other suggestions for addons to my savage?

bootsmcguire
08-17-2011, 08:26 PM
As far as bipods go this is one of the ones I use while hunting. Mine is the 6-9" model and this link is for the shorter one. Couldn't find mine on a quick search but I am sure its there somewhere.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BIPOD200-1.html

As far as other add-ons, Larger/Tactical bolt handles are always nice. Easier to get a hold of with gloves and cold hands, and reduces effort when cycling. Here are a few places to look:

http://www.projectsavage.com/?q=bootsbolts
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/ click on bolt parts in the menu on the left of the screen
http://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-Tactical-Bolt-Handle-Flat-Back-New-Style-SSSTBSS.html

There are more out there, but these are the first to come to my mind.

teebirdhyzer
08-17-2011, 11:21 PM
if it is a center feed, then you can get the detachable mag parts from SSS as well. I converted a blind mag center feed to a detachable box mag with very good results. you will probably only need the bottom metal.

geargrinder
08-17-2011, 11:22 PM
You'll have a tough time finding a LH tactical handle. SSS doesn't make them regularly any more. That leave Stockade and a Boots handle. I'd go with the Boots.

Yours is a center feed action, right? If so, you can swap your hinged floor assembly for a DBM assembly. They come up for sale now and again.

I did the same thing on a 116FLHSS.

bootsmcguire
08-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Didn't even think about yours being a lefty.

Good snag there geargrinder.

3fingervic
08-18-2011, 12:04 AM
I have the UTG bipod, and it has held up on my slug gun. I'd look into CDI for a DBM system (about $300) that is a mag and bottom metal.

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/

rusty815
08-18-2011, 01:20 AM
thanks for the suggestions guys, i know finding a lefty tactical handle is tough work, i helped a friend customize his lefty Remington 700 and we looked everywhere, ill definitely be on the lookout though as i would love to have one, i have one on my Ruger 270 and its a dream.

as for bipods, i pulled the trigger on a UTG OP 2 bipod after reading great reviews about it, dont have experience with leapers but i hear their products are good, customer service not so much though.

my model is indeed a centerfeed, it doesnt matter if my rifle is a lefty when im looking into a DBM system, does it?

rusty815
08-18-2011, 03:23 AM
alright guys, ive been looking into DBM kits and i decided i am definitely going to get a DBM kit for my savage, i have a few questions as to which to pick

i dont have a specific use for the DBM, i just want one that works and can fit into the factory stock without any trouble, which DBM kit do you guys suggest, the one from SSS, which is made by ACME i believe, or the one by CDI which i believe is custom and uses AICS magazines.

also, do you guys know if the kit from SSS uses AICS magazines?

theres also this kit which i believe is OEM from savage, is it any good?

http://www.hitechtactical.com/Savage-Detach-Magazine-Conversion-Kit.html

3fingervic
08-18-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm pretty sure the above system will work. Check your bolt spacing. If that works there is a guy Dan who owns Dark Eagle Customs that is making aftermarket mags for the .308 family that will fit that mag well. He is also working on all the other cartridge types.

http://www.darkeaglecustom.com/products.html

rusty815
08-18-2011, 03:44 PM
alright, good to know, are the SSS and CDI DBM kits drop in kits for the factory stock? im a little lazy to have to inlet anything, i already have a hobby fully customizing computers and having another hobby will kill me ;D

3fingervic
08-18-2011, 04:53 PM
They should be, but you may have to do a little tweaking to get it perfect. You will have to consider cost and availability. CDI bottom metal will cost a little over $200 and it uses Accuracy International mags that are about $100 ea. The CDI set up is readily available. The Hitech Tactical bottom metal is $125 and the factory size mags are $40, both these are available also. The problem comes when and if you want to get higher capacity mags that fit the factory type well. SSS carries them, but I hear they are to come by. There are a couple of options for higher cap mags that fit the .308 family. Dark Eagle is one and there's another guy on Sniper's Hide, these two seem to have a quicker turn around. By the way, what caliber is your rifle?

rusty815
08-18-2011, 05:52 PM
300 WSM, its in the title ;)

i really want to get the CDI kit, but im not sure if it will be a drop in replacement or not, thats my only concern at this point, from what i read, the ACME DBM kit offered by SSS is a drop in replacement for the factory stock, but it uses wyatt magazines instead of AICS magazines, they are cheaper but to me they arent proven yet.

anyone have any experience with the ACME DBM kit offered by SSS?

3fingervic
08-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Rusty, do you have an Accu-stock? I think that Jeff at CDI is redesigning hid bottom metal to drop in. You should Email him to get the future specs.

rusty815
08-18-2011, 08:59 PM
it doesnt have an accustock, at least i dont think (it doesnt have a big sticker plastered on it saying so)

i already emailed jeff, hopefully he responds soon, i also emailed SSS about their ACME DBM kit, id like the ACME kit since its less expensive for the kit and for the magazines, but i think it would be easier to get the CDI kit

anyone have any place in mind that sells left handed tactical bolts, i know SSS doesnt sell them and im not sure if boots does.

geargrinder
08-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Boot's kit will go on any Savage handle. Stockade makes LH handles.

Send a PM or email to z71rat. I think he is working on a high capacity magazine that works with a factory DBM.

rusty815
08-18-2011, 09:46 PM
thanks, i just saw stockade's bolt handles before you posted, i think im going with that, i heard they make a DBM kit also, is that true?

3fingervic
08-19-2011, 12:28 AM
Yes they do.

rusty815
08-19-2011, 12:44 AM
where can i find information on this dbm kit, i am just about an inch away from getting the ACME kit from SSS, but i want to weigh all my options first.